Friday, January 06, 2006

What Happens When...

a Type A person becomes completely disorganized, sick and tired? Well, it looks something like this...

I got up this morning, late. T's alarm never went off, at least not that any of us heard, so it was 8:20!! As I lay in bed, sick, can't breathe, coughing a bit, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should just throw on some clothes, run Em up to school, come home and go back to bed!" I thought better of the idea, mostly because I was hoping a little steam might clear out my head, and jumped in the shower.

After my helpless shower, I threw on sweats and a T-shirt, just in case I could muster up enough energy to make it to Curves. I wasn't really thinking I'd go, mostly because I'm sick... I don't like it when I have to work out with sick people, so I didn't think anyone would appreciate working out with me! On my way out, I left T in the office in his underwear. I asked him if he was planning to stay home, he didn't know but I assumed I'd see him shortly so I told him as much.

Em and I were out the door. Fortunately, T had gotten the girls dressed, Kt's lunch ready, and I had thought enough to get Em's birthday party invitations done last night, so I grabbed them on the way out. The thought had occurred to me that there was a slight chance today was our snack day at school. Since Em didn't go to school on Wed, I didn't have a calendar. I had no idea whose snack day it was, if they had PE or Music, or what. I figured, worst case scenario, I dropped her off, ran to Food Lion and picked up snack. Surely they would understand I was too sick to stay and hang around the kids - no big deal, right?

Em and I arrived a bit late as usual. Since Kt's bus doesn't arrive until 9 we don't get to school until 9:10 or so, which factored in heavily today as most parents had either left, or were standing around in the school lobby with car seat surrounding them. Of course, it still didn't hit me, so Em and I proceeded to deliver all her invitations in the mailboxes outside her classroom. I then walked her in and it hit me: something is happening today, something I should know about. Why are all these parents here??

Well, you guessed it! It was a field trip, one that I had signed up for the day after Thanksgiving, one that I missed any reminder of by being sick before and after Christmas break, one that I was not dressed for or prepared for. Not only was I in sweats with only mascara on, but I had 4 kids assigned to my car and we were going to a little theater show!! Lovely! There was no backing out of this one. All the little mom's, in their cutest little clothes, breathing easy and then there was me!

Don't know if you might recall the one mom from NY, the one who is Jewish, but she was coming along, too. She just looked at me and said in her Long Island accent, "No one cares what you look like. Come on, it will be fun!" I just had to laugh. We did have a good time, even if I did almost fall asleep. Of course, my ears perked up when she started asking for Disney advice for their upcoming trip - first time! - in May, staying at the Grand Floridian. (OK - so I'm a little jealous!) This came after her story about the New Year's Eve bash she held for her daughter and another family, when she filled a table cloth with balloons, hung it from the ceiling and let it drop at midnight with the Grateful Dead playing in the background. Not a fan, but I appreciate the fun that she creates. I'm sure they will have an incredible at WDW. (Em asked me when we got home if she could go with them to "show them around" - haha!)

I'm now exhausted. Of course, this would have to come on the same day that I had to admit to the school director, secretary and one of Em's teacher's that I had left their Starbuck's cards out of the adorable little gift card envelopes... I wonder what they all think of me?? Ahh, who really cares!!

PS - This all really did happen, just this morning, every last detail... now I'm going to take a nap!

No comments: