Monday, January 16, 2006

Perspectives Homework

Enrichment is the key word for me today! Boy am I glad I'm not taking this class for credit!! The amount of reading is ridiculous. I sat down today to do a bit of it and Kt wanted to "listen" in. Of course, this meant that I had to read out loud, which I had not really planned on. So, I started with an array of verses about God's covenant with Abraham, during which Kt quickly picked up the redundancy of the word "blessing." While I knew she was paying attention, due to her comment, she remained busy with her reading quizmo game.

I continued on with Genesis 22. "Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am." And He said, "Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the ....." Kt quickly jumped to her feet and screamed, "WHAT? Wait a minute, did you say 'burnt offering'???"

Hmmm... I thought to myself. Have we skipped over this important story with her? How could she not have heard this one before? Is it one of those bad parent stories that we are afraid to tell our kids lest they think God may ask this of us? I looked right at her and said, "Yup, that's what God told him to do!" and I kept right on reading.

She sat straight up in her chair and listened intently to the rest of the story. She was mystified by it, couldn't take her eyes off me. The Word of God can do that. It speaks to a believer's heart. As I came to the end, she seemed quite relieved. "So, God told him not to. Wow, but he said 'We will worship and return to you.'(vs 5) Did he know that God would not make him kill Isaac?"

OK. I was a little stumped. Sometimes four years of Christian college can't even help answer the questions of a child. When these teachers at Kt's school tell me she's not a top reader, needs to work on comprehension, I really don't know what they are talking about. Really! I told her I didn't know, maybe he hoped God would make a way to save Isaac, but that he did a lot to prepare for that sacrifice. I can't imagine... It's a story that haunts me and comforts me at the same time. It's hard to explain.

I have much more reading to cover before this evening. I doubt I'll get to all of it. I'll have to be more disciplined for next week! It's been a long, long time since I've had to do a reading assignment!

No comments: