Thursday, January 19, 2006

Bridgeport, Here We Come!!

Tomorrow we take our first ever missions trip to CT! Seems kind of silly, I guess, but having grown up there, on the "gold coast," I can tell you there hardly a place in the entire United States that needs Jesus more than New England. They need Him so bad they don't think they need anything at all!!

While New England is a place where materialism abounds, it's scattered cities, like Bridgeport, can contain some of the darkest of souls. To this day, Bridgeport give me the willies!! I can remember as a child, everytime we drove across the "border" between Fairfield and Bridgeport (which was often as we lived less than a mile away!) my parents would say, "Lock the doors!" and in an instant, we'd hear the click, click, clunk of each door locking. I was petrified when I was older anytime I had to drive anywhere near Bridgeport alone. All these crazy ideas we plant in our children's heads...

Tomorrow the girls and I are heading up early to CT to shop for food, get situated and wait for T and 9 others to arrive. My poor mom - you can pray for her! We will have 14 people staying in her 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house that's over 100 years old. They will have the privilege of working with our old family friends (who I wrote about a while ago) on a house down in Bridgeport that is being renovated for a mission. High quality people who have dedicated a lot of time to reaching people in recovery. I'm excited for this trip - plus I get to show some of my favorite people where I grew up. I hope they don't mind sleeping in the dining room!!

Add: Monday night, one of the people going up with us asked me about Bridgeport. Not many people have ever heard of it! Well, for starters I told her it was the first city in the US to go bankrupt. Is that a bit of a clue??

No comments: