Friday, January 20, 2006

a Couple or a Few?

Some time ago, T and I had a conversation about the difference between a "couple" and a "few." I found it odd that he didn't know the difference, but maybe I'm the odd one! Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but a couple means two and few means three or more. A married couple is two, a couple of earrings is two, sort of like a pair. A few things would be more than that.
Now, I thought I'd educated him on the difference but clearly it didn't sink in. This morning I asked him to grab me a couple of Q-tips for my couple of ears. He brought me 6! Now, honestly, who ever needs six Q-tips? (If you do, I don't really want to know!) We have a lot more work to do on this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes I read this, and knew a couple is 2 a few is 3 or more...i've had this same lesson with my husband...I say bring me a couple and he always says...how many?

tony sheng said...

another reason why i like steve...