Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My Birthday Weekend

My blogging friend wrote that her husband is taking a day off for her birthday weekend, which sounds fun!! My birthday is coming up, also, but I'm not planning anything. For a bit there it was shaping up to be a fun, fun birthday!! Here's how it went:

Mid-December, someone says to me:

I have an idea for your birthday, but it will take some planning. How would you like to go to Miami?

Me:

I'd love to!!!!!! Can we drive out to the Keys? I've always wanted to go there!! Oh, somewhere warm for my birthday will be great!

Someone:

Well, I guess we could. I was thinking we could fly down Feb. 4, Saturday, hang out for a couple days....

Me:

My birthday is February 20th. That's kind of early, kind of soon, plus my mom couldn't babysit, she has report cards, conferences, etc. How about we go while she's on winter break - February 18th??

Someone:

Well, we'll get my parents to babysit, and then we can go to the thing that Alex McManus is doing Tuesday and fly home late Tuesday night. I found these really cheap tickets we could buy.

Me:

So, this isn't really a birthday present for me. It's really a trip for you. OK, buy the tickets.

Someone:

Well, what if we can't find someone to watch the girls? We can't return the tickets.

Me:

Why don't you just buy yourself the tickets? If your parents can babysit, then I'll get myself tickets.

Someone:

Hmmmm.....

Conclusion:

Babysitters: No. Wouldn't do it (my mom said she'd watch them on her break!).

Trip: Not happening.

Birthday: ? Not Miami!

This is kind of the way someone in our family is, and I knew it early on. While I expect this kind of brainstorming stuff I won't let it happen with my children!! The first time he tells them they get a trip to Florida for their birthdays, guess what I'm doing???? I'm buying the first tickets I find!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My birthday is the 26th of February, my mom's is the 24th of February. We usually do something together. So she's coming up here and will watch Max while we ski and play in the snow. Perfect present for her...perfect present for me...well acutally perfect present for me would be if this was happening in Hawaii or Disney World...preferably at the Wild Kingdom resort.(but that's not going to happen anytime soon... :( )

deanna said...

Ah, fun! I was born on my grandmother's birthday and my dad's birthday was Feb 22. This will be my third year to birthday alone - although my sister-in-law's birthday is Feb 15 - so that's nice!

Disney would be a dream birthday, at the beach club resort (the best pool in all of disney!!). I'd take Hawaii, too, any place warm for that matter!

My mom is coming, too, but Tony just found out that his missionary friend from Brazil is coming on the 21st, so now it's just a good thing we have no plans for my birthday.

I hope you have an awesome birthday -we'll have to exchange birthday stories once they are over!