Monday, January 16, 2006

Shenglish

Kt was working on a reading bingo game with T this evening while Em "played" along until she was bored out of her mind. Feeling left out, she decided to test out her newfound ability to "spell" and said to T, "What does E-M-O-B spell?"

T replied, "It spells emob."

I looked over with my quizzical glance, trying not to laugh out loud.

Emily looked at me, raised her eyebrows a few times and proudly announced to me, "I SPELLED EMOB!!" with a rather large, very genuine smile.

Not wanting to ruin the moment (with my thought to ask Daddy what that word meant!) I said, "Wow! Good job!"

Now, that's Shenglish for you! (It's probably a good thing we don't homeschool!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of the Cosby episode where 4/5 yr old Rudy asks what does ZRBTT spell? Zerbert her dad answers...which you can see from the link has made it's way into pop culture!

So I think you should have asked T whatit means!