Thursday, January 19, 2006

Jews and Christians Unite

Well, that's what the article in the WP seems to suggest. I'm sure many people were already aware of this connection between emergent and Jews - I was not. I am not all that well versed in the "emergent" movement, but I've heard positive and negative things about it.

This article might leave someone thinking that "emergent" Christians disagree with or dislike the "church." Could be true. I'm not sure. Certainly, the sentiment is that Jewish leaders see a general attraction of Christians to emergent and are trying to duplicate that in their "religion" by attracting young Jews to synagogue. I find this all very intriguing.

I'm probably opening a can of worms here. My husband warns me all the time not to use the word "emergent" in any of my posts - in fact, he may make me delete this post!! I guess I'm just perplexed because I thought the emergent movement was trying to attract non-believers, not unhappy Christians. Could their target be both of these groups?? It would appear that Jewish leaders have either missed the essence of the emergent movement OR they have somehow been led to believe that emergent groups are for Christians who don't like denominational churches or church politics and are seeking something more authentic.

From what little I know and understand of the emergent church movement, I believe there are certain ideas that I would ascribe to. I like more authentic worship, unscripted, spirit-filled. I like the challenge they present to love as Jesus loved, to be less judgemental of people who practice alternate lifestyles, although most christians in denominational churches might feel a bit judged themselves by the condemnation that they don't. [While this is OK for me, a hesitancy to "admit" God's view on these particular lifestyles does not sit well with me.]

While these are only a few of my observations, I have also found certain things attached to this emergent movement that seem cautionary to me. This article points out a couple of those things that I have heard/read that would make me hesitant to adopt this particular kind of thinking.

Some traditional churchgoers [that would be me!] have questioned whether the approach is superficial and not dignified enough for worship. Others worry that small groups independent of denominations and the oversight they provide are vulnerable to leaders who spread distorted theology.
I guess the "watered-down theology" part of emergent is what is most terrifying to me. I want authentic worship, I want to be active in spreading God's glory throughout the earth, but I want to do these things within the context of His Word. I believe that most emergent believers do this, but it is worrisome to me that this characterization is prevalent outside of emergent.

As far as the article goes? Well, I do have a special love for Jews and I'm not really sure where it comes from. I am thankful for the emergent movement in the sense that it is the first Christian movement that I know of that has caught the attention of Jews, at least since Christ! Maybe, in this connection and this open door, some may come to know Christ. At least I hope that is what is going on. I believe He is the missing piece for these Jewish seekers that will authenticate their need for deeper spirituality and worship. It's a big responsibility God has placed in emergent hands - and it's worth our support of prayer!

2 comments:

Sally said...

ooooooooh..... I have soooooo much to say on this subject, but I won't.

:)

deanna said...

Haha - I have a feeling some might! I actually have more to say, but I'll save it for my husband!! I don't feel like I'm knowledgable enough (or tactful enough!) to post it all. I'm interested, curious but mostly against my better judgement.