Friday, January 27, 2006

Olives Have Pits

OK - I don't eat olives, or pickles for that matter. The extent of my liking for pickles starts and ends with sweet gherkins, and I'm not even sure they qualify as real pickles!!

I started making these Southwest Pinwheels for tonight. I couldn't find my normal sliced olives at the grocery store so I bought a can of ripe olives - whole. I poured a few out on my cutting board and gave it a good wham! I was a little surprised that they were so hard to chop, but I proceeded to wham, wham, wham to my hearts content with my Pampered Chef food chopper (one of the few gadgets I actually use quite often!). When I realized I wasn't getting very far, I poured out the pimento filled olives and started away on those. They all ended up like mush. Oh well.... sometimes my blonde really shows!

I mixed up my olive mixture and put together my first pinwheel. Like a good chef, I decided to cut myself a small slice and give it a try. At first, I thought my tooth had fallen out! What is typically a soft cream cheese, olive filled tortilla had a huge hard chunk in it - not what I was expecting. What could it be??? All of a sudden, I vaguely remember seeing somewhere on a can that some olives are "pitted." Hmmm... look over at can, do not see word "pitted," realize all that work down the drain!!

All I can say is, if you are coming tonight, beware!! I did remake those pinwheels, so they are safe. My food chopper? Well, let's just say it's a good thing I'm having this party tonight!

No comments: