Sunday, January 15, 2006

Rubik's Cube

Wow! I'm so out of it!! I thought these things were gone with the 80's but it appears I am wrong! I cannot believe someone actually solved a Rubik's cube in just over 11 SECONDS! That's crazy!

I have vivid memories of this cube, and the little book that went along with it! You know, the book that most of us had to use to solve one layer of that cube, maybe two layers and for some reason I could never get the last layer to work, even with the book!! My sister, on the other hand, practically memorized the book. She probably would have ended up at one of these competitions had they existed when we were kids.

My sister, the genius, got my mom a Sudoku (?) book for Christmas - she may as well have gotten herself that gift!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was 3ish (1982) I was fascinated with our Rubik's Cube. One night I took it to bed with me and finally figured out how to get all the colors to line up.

The next morning, upon seeing the solved cube, were convinced that I was headed to Mensa to join as their youngest member...until they asked me how I did it.

"It was real easy." Said I, matter of factly. "I just pulled the stickers off and stuck them back so that the colors matched."

It made perfect sense to me, but my parents just laughed. They consoled themselves with the knowledge that I was a 'creative thinker'...and that's how I've been solving problems ever since.

deanna said...

Haha! I've heard of kids doing this. How funny. I have an older post about my daughter and a math problem - same kind of kid logic!! Some of us just work outside the lines.