Friday, January 27, 2006

The Sneakers

This morning didn't go quite as planned. I guess after staying up until 2 am to finish some laundry, clean up and watch Project Runway in marathon fashion was a big mistake! I rolled out of bed this morning, threw on some workout clothes, checked email and then gathered a bunch of things I needed for today. I pulled together Kt's homework, the book order for Em's school that I input last night, my little recipe book with all the ingredients I needed to buy - no time to write them in a list, and then went downstairs to have my measly breakfast - dieting is no fun!

After the 10th or so reminder to Kt to get her socks and shoes on she was still aimlessly wandering around the house with a piece of toast in hand. With only minutes to spare, she suddenly realized that she had no idea where her shoes were, which only made me more ornery than I already was. With this party tonight it was glaringly obvious that all I had left to clean was all the girls junk that is scattered throughout the house. Everytime I clean something, it is quickly taken over by more stuff and my pleas for help are often ignored. I explained to Kt that her shoes, which were supposed to be in the mud room, had to be somewhere and it was her job to find them before the bus arrived. She looked twice in the car, up in her bedroom all over the first floor - nothing. They had to be sneakers because today was PE.

By this time, 9am, I'm quite certain the bus has come and gone, which only adds to my increasing anger. While she is standing in the living room, in one spot, just looking (she inherited her "looking for things" genes from all the males in our family) I went out into the garage, opened the car door and there they were. In plain sight, her sneakers. How she could have looked twice and not found them is beyond me!! Bright white with light blue stripes, she's the only one who has a pair like that and the only one who wears that size. No mistaking they were hers!! So, I was, needless to say, livid at this point.

With the bus come and gone, two children who are giving me strange looks (was it the purplish tint in my face??) and my lack of sleep, we were in for a ride!! Looking back on it, it's one of those embarrassing parent moments, but they deserved it! I laid down the law, I set them straight, I let them have it.... I think I skipped the lesson on "finding lost items" in Parenting 101. Whoa was that ride they will never forget. Chances are, in the annals of our family, they will not even remember why I was raving, but they'll talk about it for years to come. I know this because we do it all the time to my mom!

As I got both the girls to school and began to head to Curves it struck me - I'm bent out of shape over a pair of sneakers. Sure, it has a bit to do with irresponsibility, disorganization, and just plain disobedience, but I'm ashamed to admit that a pair of sneakers can make my day miserable. With people in the world starving, wondering where they will find their next meal, out in the cold with no coat or any means to obtain one, people who have to consider which route to take to work to try to avoid "insurgents" and roadside bombs. There are also people who don't have to worry about finding their sneakers in the morning because they don't even have any. It's a strange world I live in, where I have so much, worry so little and still have a bad day.

I walked into Curves with all these things in mind and spotted an old friend that I haven't seen in a while. In fact, oddly enough, I saw her yesterday and now she just joined Curves. She is my friend who had open heart surgery in August due to a misdiagnosed blood infection she received at the hospital where she was having routine surgery. After chatting with her and catching up a bit, I just hung my head in shame. I have got to learn not to make such a big deal about sneakers!

You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger;
Jame 1:19

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post....Iam a runner and i always prefer wearing nike shoes for running and walking....so comfort!

deanna said...

I'm glad you found this post - because I'd forgotten about it and it's a great reminder (spelling errors and all!);-)!