Saturday, January 14, 2006

Did they kickoff?

So, the party is OVER!! Actually, other than all the work we put into it, the party was easy. The girls were wonderful, everyone had fun, the parents who stayed enjoyed themselves and were very helpful. The birthday girl, other than a few little spats, had a great time - it was all about her, so we tried to make it all about our friends!!

I sent T out this morning to pick up Kt (she was invited last night to a play and for a sleepover at a friend's house - very good timing!) and get balloons. He asked what colors, I told him bold Dora colors - hot pink, orange, purple, green and NO PASTEL!! Those were my last words. Guess what he brought home? I should know by now to write it down!!!! It looked a bit like Easter around here, of course the kids didn't care one little bit!

We are now all exhausted. T's asleep - has to work tonight. The girls are still playing. The group for the party was so quiet and tame, my two made up for that as soon as everyone left! They are playing in the basement with all their old toys - funny! I'm cleaning up here and there, finished the Thank You cards so I don't forget and now I'm sitting here... trying to absorb what just happened.

My friend stopped by with my Southern Living order. She's lucky, had she come a little sooner there would have been complete mayhem. She peeked in the door, then when she saw how quiet it was (I had told her there would be a party here) she said to me, "So, have they kicked off yet?" I gave her a funny look and said, "Yeah, they all left a bit ago!" She looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "NOT THE KIDS, SILLY - the GGGAAAAAMMMMEEEE!" You know, we are so not football people. Being in Redskins country I forget sometimes how fanatical everyone is here. Are the Redskins even playing? I thought they lost their game?? I have no idea so we just laughed.

Now, I may not be a football person, but I grew up in a Cowboys household. My father was a religious football fan - Dallas Cowboys all the way. I KNOW what a kickoff was, just not on a day that I just entertained 12 little girls for my daughter's birthday. I know who Tom Landry and Roger Staughbach (?) are, Emitt(?) Smith, Troy Aikman (?) - OK - so I can't spell their names, I can only say them. I might even be able to name them if I saw them. That's it, though. I know nothing about the Redskins and now that my dad has gone ahead to heaven, I haven't heard or seen football in almost 3 years!! Oh, well.

Now, I'm moving on to my next party. I don't like doing those home sales parties but I did one this summer (Southern Living) and it was fun. Of course, my rule is never two parties in one year. It wears on the friends. This one is different, though, so I'm breaking my rule. Friends of ours who are area missionaries have been very low on their support for the past year - sometimes below 50%. C decided this past week to begin selling Pampered Chef to hopefully make up some of what they need to survive in this area. Since she homeschools her children jobs are hard to come by, so after a year of consideration she took the plunge. I'm hosting her first party for her. It's OK if it's small. She's a little quiet and because it will be her first I think she'd prefer something non-threatening. I may buy one item but I'm donating all my credit to her to start this business so it would be nice to have at least a few friends show up!! I have two weeks to prepare for this one - should be easy... I'll let you know how it goes...

Well, I'm off to rest a bit. Once T wakes up I'm jumping into to tub to disappear for a bit. Since T is working tonight I'll probably have to brave church tomorrow with the girls myself. That should be interesting. Traffic is pretty bad there and we aren't making any friends at the small Catholic church - kind of a bummer. Our neighbors are off to Disney in the morning (I'm a teeny bit jealous) so Em will be without her playmates for a bit. All these things, but at least the party is over!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had much of the same response to all the loons dressed in orange and blue around denver today..."why in the world is everyone dressed in orange and blue today" I spout off...oh a playoff game...ok go broncos I guess...

Glad your party went well...hope you had a nice relaxing bath-time.

deanna said...

Haha! I was relaying this story today to a friend of mine at church who dared wear her Pittsburg Steelers jacket. She was laughing at me!

No bath yet - but today... I must!