Friday, January 06, 2006

Things that make you go "hmm..."

This past summer a good friend of mine had a surgical procedure done at my local hospital. It's not her hospital, but it is her doctor's, so she had it done there. She is a nurse practicioner, so when her recovery did not go so well, she went right back into the hospital. After several recurrences of this same issue, we all began to wonder (including herself) if there might be something else wrong with her. Her last admission there, her condition was deteriorating and no one could pinpoint the problem until her surgeon stopped by (having seen her husband waiting at the nurse's station). She immediately ordered tests that confirmed her belief that my friend had an blood infection that stemmed from the surgical procedure yet having nothing to do with the reason for surgery.

Unfortunately for my friend, the damage was already done. Later that week she had to had open heart surgery to repair a damaged heart valve. I'm guessing had they not taken 3 months to determine what was really wrong with her this may not have happened.

Since then, I've heard of two other men that I know who have gone into this same hospital for prostate biopsies, only weeks apart, coming out with, yes, blood infections. Of course, these are three confirmed cases, although there are rumors that there are more. So, what is up with this hospital?? I've never heard great things about it, but I've always felt it serves our community well. Now I'm a little suspicious, worried...

I had my own bad experience at that hospital, not a blood infection but a radiology test that went bad resulting in me becoming hypothyroid. I never did anything about it (other than take my synthroid everyday since I was 25!) but I'm very leary of having to go in there for any kind of testing. Having two babies there was enough for me!!

I don't know how common it is to get a blood infection from surgery, but I think the frequency of this occurring at this hospital seems a bit high, not to mention the failure of them to recognize the symptoms. Should I be concerned? I guess I should find a doctor to ask... not just a bunch of bloggers (no offense!).

No comments: