Thursday, January 26, 2006

Is there nothing more precious...

than a 5 year old singing praises to her King? On the way home from Bible study today, I was listening to WGTS and the Michael W. Smith song "Open the Eyes of My Heart" came on. Now, I am one to sometimes get annoyed by old, overplayed songs but this is not one of them for me. This song first was introduced to me when my father became ill and it really meant a lot to me. During a time when I didn't feel like I could see clearly, when nothing seemed to be going "our way" and when bitterness might have overtaken my sense of being loved by Jesus, this song brought me out of many dark and dismal days. I would sing it out loud (something I try to spare my friends and family!), hear it in my head, turn it up on the radio and almost cry through it at church. I really wanted to see Christ in all that was happening around me.

Today, as we were coming home, this song began in the car and just as soon as it started I heard my daughter in the backseat singing along. Instead of joining her, I just listened to that sweet sound. It was totally off key, totally off beat, her words trailing the actual song by a few words. It was enough to emphasize what the message of that song really is, what the request is. When we arrived home I didn't want to turn it off, but clearly the request was granted as my daughter, who typically tells me she "rather not talk about it" began a little question and answer session about heaven with me. Funny, that we would thinking the same thing.

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You, I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shining in the light of your Glory
Pour out Your Power and Love
As we sing Holy, Holy, Holy

Holy, Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy, Holy
I want to see You

(Paul Baloche)

I cannot wait to really see Christ one day, and I think that's what Em was thinking, too. Although right now she just wants to see Pabu! Thus, all her questions about heaven.

Thank you, Jesus, for hearing our cry, for helping us to see You.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and thank you for making that the song of the day...I have been singing it all day since I read your post.

deanna said...

So glad you enjoying it - will be thinking of you tomorrow! (or today, that is!)