Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Luis Palau Follow-Up

I received a phone call just now from a Luis Palau representative. She was really nice, asking for some financial help, of course! In general, though, I'd have to say I was pretty impressed by this phone call. This woman was extremely polite, asked if I had time to listen to what they are currently doing, a recap of the DC Festival and what they are doing to follow up with the 1,500 people who made a commitment to follow Christ.

She mentioned a TV show - I haven't seen it but I might check it out - featuring Stephen Baldwin and Chynna Phillips. I had no idea Chynna was a Christian, so that was news to me! She also talked about what they do specifically to follow up with new believers, such as send out information, a Bible on CD and try to connect them with local churches. She also pointed out that many area churches presented the Festival via satellite, which is great because it was so rainy that weekend, I'm sure the turnout for those was good comparatively.

At the end of the conversation, she asked if there was anything she could pray for for us, and I mentioned that T was meeting with a potential summer trip leader. She prayed for our trips, our leaders and our work at our church. Overall, impressive phone call. I'm glad I didn't give her the usual "not interested" because I was interested in most of what she told me.

My first experience with Luis Palau was when he did a Festival in Bridgeport, CT. My parents (my dad especially) were involved in helping. I remember my dad being very excited about it and loving most of the program, except for the loud rock bands! I was impressed that they chose Bridgeport, which is a really dumpy city, rife with crime and generally not a pleasant place to be. They had their program at Seaside Park, which is equally scary and dumpy. I would consider that area one of neediest in terms of everything!! I never did go to the Bridgeport Festival, but I got a play by play from my dad.

One of the things I noticed about this phone conversation tonight was that this woman constantly referred to him as Luis. There was no formality, no big organization, just Luis. Not that it's all about him and maybe this informal reference was for the good of the cause, but I've always gotten the sense from all I've seen and heard that this man is approachable, unintrusive, gentle... A lot like a Billy Graham type of person possibly. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my impression.

So, we'll get our card in the mail. I wonder if they are counting Em as one of their 1,500 people. She hasn't gotten the Bible on CD or any written material. She DID get a follow up letter from a church - a very nice, very personal letter. I'm impressed!

No comments: