Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Politics and Education

So, what's the news here?? Is it about Mayor O'Malley, or is it hidden in the text of an article about him???

With Maryland now enjoying a budget surplus, aides said Ehrlich's proposal for next year would include record funding levels for higher education.

Ehrlich declined to preview details but hinted that the plan would include more funding for need-based scholarships, which he said has been a priority of his even in tough budget years.

All this in an article entitled "O'Malley Says Ehrlich Should Freeze U-MD. Tuition." The article states that MD tuition is not set by the governor, that O'Malley has no viable plan that he has made public to do this, that another "leading candidate" for governor will have a better plan....

You see, this is why I'm not a writer. I can't take a story about Ehrlich, twist it into a story about O'Malley and turn it into a campaign strategy. I'm just not politically motivated enough.

Let's see: budget surplus (for once), record funding for higher education, need-based scholarships... what am I missing here??? I guess that I'm not a Democrat! I wouldn't hide this information in an article about O'Malley.

I'm all for lower college tuition, I just don't see that as a reality for my children! And that's D or R!

No comments: