Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Yom Kippur - what is it??

I haven't brushed up on my next Jewish holiday, although I intend to. It starts tomorrow at sundown, or at least that's what I'm told. I met this mom today whose daughter goes to preschool with Em. Tomorrow is her snack day, so she was checking with us to make sure she didn't duplicate our snack. I knew this woman was from Long Island, the accent gave that away!, but I didn't know she was Jewish. Had I been paying attention I might have figured it out, but being that the preschool meets in a Methodist church I guess this one flew right over my head!

She mentioned that tomorrow is Yom Kippur - of course, in my small mind Yom Kippur is Thursday because Kt has no school that day. This other mom mentioned that they probably won't fast, they don't really observe the Jewish holidays in that way unless they feel like it. I asked what congregation she belonged to and she said they don't, but they will be forced to join one when they want to Bat Mitzvah their beautiful little girl - she's a cutie!!

Having grown up in a very Jewish community in Connecticut none of what this mom said to me was surprising. Of course, it made me wonder what she was thinking. About me, of course! Because I'm so self-centered, unfortunately. Does she think that I would think she was crazy if she were at all interested in her religion? Is she a little ashamed that she doesn't observe this important holiday but wants me to think that it's OK? Does she think I'm a crackpot for even asking her??? or some fanatical Christian who is trying to proselytize her? so she's acting like religion doesn't matter to her so I'll leave her alone????? All right, so I've gone too far now. She (and you) might be thinking all these things about me now. Really, it's just a little intriguing to me.

I spent a good part of my public school days hanging around with a good friend who is Jewish and all her friends, who proudly call themselves (to this day!) the Jew Crew. I was fortunate enough to be invited into homes where these Jewish holidays, like Passover, were being observed. What this woman described to me today was exactly what I was exposed to growing up, and that is people who are Jewish in tradition but not necessarily in practice. It is a tradition that is ingrained in their very being but has little to do with their everyday life or even their beliefs.

In the past few years I have had the privilege of knowing a believing Jewish family. They go to our church and have been believers for several (many!) years and still observe these important holidays. I'm intrigued! They are phenomenal people inside and out. We also have as a guest speaker at our church a man who pastors a church of Jewish believers in Rockville, Maryland, named Scott Brown. From the time we started going to Grace, I have always LOVED to have him visit and share from his experience at our church because so much of what he shares I can relate to. It's intriguing! I have so much to learn.

What makes this all even more intriguing is that my sister-in-law grew up in a Jewish home. T and I had the privilege of having her live with us, before she was my sister-in-law, and experience the struggle a person of this faith has when confronted with Christianity. Even for the most uncommitted Jew, there is a strong identity to their "faith" that protects them from outside influence. Their identity with their community is strong, even if they never attend temple or observe any holy days. Each Jew has a sense of belonging that covers all transgression.

When J came to live with us, she attended our church, read the Bible we gave her and asked wonderful questions. She shared with us that she had always wondered (she and my brother dated for 12 long years before they got married!!) why my family was so different. It bugged her that we were all so nice. We aren't really, and she knows that now, but to her we seemed different. J spent almost 6 months with us and I feel she came to a pretty good understanding about Christianity, how it was different and the same from Judaism and how important she was to God. What it all boiled down to when she went home was that her mother would kill her if she became a Christian. She went home, hid her Bible in the way back of her closet and inconspicously joined my brother at church each Sunday. After almost a year of this, and many prayers later, she secretly became a Christian through two wonderful women at my family's church. When her mom finally found out, well, let's just say this - she's still alive! It has not been easy, but it's a transformation that I've been honored to be a part of. I have seen firsthand the community that is Jewish and the identity it provides for anyone born into it.

As Christians, do we ever have this same identity? or community? or complacency? Do we observe our Christian holidays so we can belong, but not as an observance of the great gifts that God has given to us?? Do we sometimes say we belong but don't act like we belong? Do we deserve to be called God's children? Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but when I was listening to this mom today I felt really convicted in my heart. Does this mom see that I love my God? or does she see another "religious" mom who understands why we "belong" to a church? Do I act like a woman who is convicted to love my neighbors, no matter their religion, race, lifestyle or nationality? Or does she just see another self-righteous, judgemental Christian who can't believe this mom is being honest about her lack of interest in her religion? Which one of these am I for real? I'm convicted of what I need to be and what I fall short of being.

I'm thankful for an open door with this mom. I have seen God continually putting this woman in my path and I know there is a reason. I am going to pray for more opportunities to love this woman and a her absolutely adorable daughter. I vow to love her, not judge her. To enjoy time with her, not avoid her. To allow her to lead our discussion unless I'm moved by God's spirit. Not to belittle her Jewish roots or identity by my ignorant insensitivity but to respect that her people were chosen by God. I have an incredible respect and admiration for the Jewish faith, especially those who have stepped out and believed God for the Messiah that he sent. I would encourage every Christian to find a Jewish believer and learn about the role that tradition can play in your beliefs. It can only make our own "religious experience" more meaningful.

No comments: