Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Reindeer Signs

In my previous post I briefly mentioned my cousin, who lives in South Carolina, and it reminded me of another funny Em story. Em has been intrigued with reindeer for quite some time. In fact, last year she asked every Santa she encountered for one thing only - a bell from a reindeer. She was intensely in need of a reindeer bell, which she happily received (she made it really easy on us last year!).

Since then, she likes to play this game she calls "Reindeer signs." Anywhere we drive, and this year it's been up and down the East Coast, we have to tell her if we see a reindeer sign, otherwise known as a deer crossing sign. This game is even more exciting when we actually get to see the "reindeer" crossing! and a bit grim when we see a dead "reindeer" on the side of the road, or even in our neighborhood. Wherever we go it's all about reindeer.

This past summer my mom, the girls and I spent a few days on our way home from Hilton Head and St. Augustine in western South Carolina with my cousin, who lives in the "country." The girls had a blast out on the farm. One day my cousin brought out his John Deere tractor with a small trailer on it and gave the girls rides, let them drive with him and just goofed around in the back yard. That evening, Emily told T on the phone, "I got to ride on the tractor WITH A REINDEER SIGN ON IT!" We all just busted out laughing. Of course, T knew right away what she was talking about. My cousin was a bit more perplexed.

I've told this story to a few select people who have participated in our reindeer sign game - always amusing. I think I got the best laugh, though, from my cousin's other son who is currently serving in Iraq. It was a fond reminder of home and I'm sure he can't wait to come home and ride the reindeer tractor!! (He's coming home in two weeks - trading places with his big brother who just left for Iraq from Kuwait this past weekend!).

I need to go - I hear a small reindeer prancing behind me!

No comments: