Saturday, October 08, 2005

A 4 year old view of Heaven

So tonight Em's prayer changed from Hurricane Katrina children who lost all their toys and their mama's to missing "Pabu," my dad who died 2 years ago when Em was only 2. The fact that she even remembers him at all is astonishing. Sadly, she told me tonight that she only remembers visiting him in the hospital, which was about 1 week before he died.

My father was totally intrigued by Em before he died. He would just stare at her, laugh at her, cuddle with her and share M&M's with her. He seemed so utterly amazed by everything that she did. She would smile or giggle or make a silly face and his face would light up and he would say, "Wow! Did you see that??" I tried to bring the girls up to CT as often as possible when he was sick because it seemed to be so uplifting for him.

Tonight Emily, out of the blue, prayed that my dad would get better and not hurt anymore. I thought it was a bit odd, especially because a month or so ago, on a ride to school, she started this exact same conversation with me. I reminded her tonight that Pabu is safe in heaven, he has a new body and no more pain. She said she wants to be in heaven with him and I explained how she could, as I've done in the past. She said to me,

So, heaven is where Jesus lives, and Pabu is there. I want to go there, but I want you to go with me. When we go there we can never come back. I wonder who will get there first to see Pabu?


I'm a little spooked, but OK. It's so interesting watching a 4 year old try to process information about a place she can't see but truly believes in. It's that childlike faith, so magical, so real, yet so far. It is such a precious gift that our Savior has given us - isn't it? eternal life

No comments: