Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Advice from Mom

So, my update on my conversation with my mom about full day kindergarten. My mom has taught preschool, kindergarten, first grade and now second grade. She has over 20 years of experience under her belt, so when I have a question regarding education I go to her. I used to go to both of my parents, as my dad had over 35 years of experience and was his dissertation away from having his doctorate in administration.

My mom said this to me, "I can't believe you all are making such a big deal about this!" Sometimes we just need a mom to put things into perspective for us, don't we? Actually, she agreed that full day kindergarten was ridiculous, that it does cause redshirting, that it is becoming the norm because of the daycare need BUT that with the new No Child Left Behind standards full day was becoming academically necessary. Honestly, I don't really know that much about NCLB because that was not an issue when I taught. I believe I agree with the idea behind NCLB, but not with the funding nightmare it has caused. All that for another post!!

Last night I brought up this whole situation with our small group, which last night consisted only of two other couples, one woman who is also a teacher and another whose children will all have gone through full day kindergarten at another county school. She loved the program, so I really wanted some feedback from her, and I got excellent feedback from everyone!! We did eventually get to our study!

One of the things I recognize as a teacher and now as a parent is how easily a parent or group of parents can become "the enemy" in a situation like this. I don't want to be the parent who the entire school staff dreads when I walk through the front door. I don't want them whispering about me when I'm just within earshot or having teachers say, "Oh, I know who you are...." when I've never met them before! If we can't support teachers, whether we agree or disagree with them, we will be unwelcome in schools. Period.

This year I've had the very bizarre opportunity of having an open door with the senior kindergarten teacher. She was Kt's teacher two years ago and might be Em's next year. When the call came out this summer that she needed help, I went in. Since then she has called me to do some projects for her that she doesn't trust other parents doing. Nothing too exciting - just cutting out centers and putting folders together, etc. I then found out last week that my "Reading Pairs" assignment will be for the kindergarten teacher, the same one who has called me. Now, I'm a little suspicious, God, that You are somehow setting me up for something. Either that, or You're just giving me some boundaries for a possible ugly response to something I don't particularly agree with. So....

After last night here's my plan of attack: there won't be one, unless I find out that the teachers are concerned for some reason OR the classes will be too big. Those are really the only things that bother me. I'm resigned to the reality of full day kindergarten and the fact that it puts me one year closer to having to get a job (haha). I want to be a parent who serves because I do feel like that is what I'm designed to do. I don't want to jump on a bandwagon with a one-way ticket to obscurity, no longer welcome in school circles and never called by random teachers because I'm trustworthy. I also want my children to be in a situation where they will thrive, and that includes in my home where I don't want the atmosphere filled with contention. Kids are smart and they talk at school - I know this!

Enough said - of course, my mom may change her mind early next year and send me into a tailspin. It's happened, and mom's are allowed to do this. She has done it to me before. It'll be something like this, "I can't believe you all just sat around and let it get this bad!!!!" I'm 35 and I've experienced this kind of flip-flopping from my mom, so I think I'm ready. Only time will tell...

No comments: