Saturday, October 15, 2005

Extreme School Makeover

So we got up early, at least early for us!, this morning to run over to a local elementary school to do some sprucing up! Our church started this last year with about 5 or 6 schools. They organize a few hundred volunteers to go landscape a school. It was a huge success last year, T and I heard all about it... but were unable to participate. This year we decided to join in.

Of course, like everything else at our church it seems, this year was an expanded version. We added more schools and I believe another church, maybe two. I'm not totally sure, I don't know all the details, we only knew where to go and when. We ended up at Swansfield Elementary school with LOTS of other volunteers, including many parents who belong to that school's PTA. I even ran into an old friend from teaching whose children go to Swansfield. Here were some interesting observations I made, I'll let T analyze them later with his intellectual flair!

1) The school had advertised on their school sign "Extreme School Makeover," the principal was there (very young, very involved, I'm very impressed with his landscaping skills), a school board member showed up, but none of the parents seemed to have a clue who all the strange people were who were there helping them! A banner had been taped up that read "Building Bridges" and then very tiny "Grace Cares" and even smaller "Grace Community Church". I really liked all this. First of all, the fact that our church was doing this was minor, not heavily advertised. Secondly, it gave Grace people the opportunity to answer the "Who are you and why are you here" question. Lastly, it does wonders for our humility. We're trying to show Jesus, not necessarily a church, to a community. If we are always screaming "that's my church" instead of living so people wonder who we are, no one is going to get it. Around Howard County, lots of people go to lots of different churches, no biggie!

2) The sheer volume of people helping was overwhelming. As we pulled in (late, of course) another couple we know was leaving. They had been "reassigned" because there were no jobs left. We found several small jobs to jump on while we were there, but we heard from others that there were just as many volunteers at other locations. There were more volunteers than jobs! Now, for someone who just wanted to come to work, that might have been annoying, but for those of us who like a little social action it was kind of fun. I got to work with people I had never met before from Grace, talk to my friend who I haven't seen in a while and hang out with my kids on the first beautiful day we've had in a couple weeks. "Building Bridges" isn't really about landscaping, it's about relationships.

3) Resources - I cannot believe the amount of resources that can be pulled together for one day of landscaping. It seemed like there were unlimited amounts of shovels, rakes, hammers, trucks, dirt, mulch and plants - at least it seemed that way! God was so gracious with us today - great weather after 8+ days of rain, plenty of hands and lots of "stuff" to work with.

I hope we leave a mark today in this community that has God's fingerprints on it - not ours. I have gone to many different churches and Grace has always stood out to me as one that is such a pleasure to serve with. There are many reasons for that, but mostly because the credit goes to God, because we "serve an audience of one." I don't have a clue who organized this whole event, I barely even know who my group coordinator was. That's not the important thing. I like that.

Now I'm off to get some outdoor chores done. I left T mowing the lawn and cleaning up after my edging work! I guess I better go help before he finds me!!

No comments: