Thursday, October 13, 2005

HI-HO, Kermit thee Frog here...

My 4 year old drives me crazy. All the time... being an animal lover, she is typically playing with our dog, asking if she can pet some random dog or dragging around a stuffed animal. Almost always, these poor animals have some kind of belt tightly fastened around their necks. It's a rather scary sight and I've often wondered if I'm a bad mom for allowing this, given the frightening implications this may have for her future!! Noose type objects maybe should not be allowed. Well, she's 4!

Lately, the object of the noose has been an old stuffed animal that used to belong to T. It's a frog. Just yesterday this frog appeared at the breakfast table. Em asked me, "Can I take 'Hermit' to school with me?" Now, this frog has never had a name so I wasn't sure who she was talking about. She has many imaginary students with various names, so I replied, "Who??" She pointed to the frog in the noose and said, "My frog, 'Hermit.'" I said, "Do you mean 'Kermit'?" She laughed and said, "Yeah, 'Kermit,' but can I call him 'Hermit'?" Of course I said she could. I've already learned that you can't tell a 4 year old, especially mine, how to say something. They are just going to say it their way anyway.

'Hermit' was not allowed in school, but he did come out for lunch with daddy today. As we were getting out of the car, Em asked daddy, "Can I take 'Kermit' into lunch?" T said, "Who??" to which I answered, "Her frog, 'Hermit' (haha)." Now Em looks straight at him and without hesitation says, "His name is 'Kermit.' I wanted to call him 'Hermit' but mommy wouldn't let me!" That child is so full of it!!

No comments: