Saturday, October 29, 2005

This Really Happened:

After my little post about books we went our merry way, looking for a pumpkin patch on our way home from Pennsylvania. Fortunately, for us, there are plenty to choose from in the rolling hills of farm country. Unfortunately, for us, T had researched a specific "Maze Quest" (you might notice the absence of the word "pumpkin" in that little title) and after getting lost once, we were hopefully heading the correct way.

On our way, we passed the ninth or tenth pumpkin patch as T said to the girls, "Look at that buggy going into that little farm!" There was a small buggy with an Amish family inside. My suburban know-it-all, booksmart child chimes, "I want to go to THAT pumpkin patch where the Pilgrims just went." At this point, I'm shaking my head thinking how happy I am that we are sheltered in our suburban minivan, out of earshot of anyone even remotely Amish or even from Pennsylvania. We had a very quick lesson on the difference between Pilgrims and Amish. Kt just sat in the back with a quizzical look on her face, the one that says, "Whatever, Mom and Dad, but I KNOW I just saw that in a book!"

As we continued past that cute little farm onto the "Maze Quest" I was growing evermore impatient with T. We finally pulled in, got all bundled up and started our journey to the big barn, only to find that, YES, it truly was just a maze, no pumpkin patch. Back to the car and to that cute little "pilgrim" farm. I'm so thankful that Amish family had left. Now we have been given the grace of a bit more time to prove to our book-savvy child that there really is a difference!

No comments: