Sunday, October 09, 2005

DC Festival and Veggie Tales

Well, we did it! We took the girls today. T went last night and came home cold and wet, but the kids he took had a blast! I would have loved to have stayed for Steven Curtis Chapman tonight, but seriously just getting there this afternoon was fun. We did all the kid stuff. Em especially loved Bob and Larry, the ventriloquist and the games. Kt was grumpy the whole time UNTIL we used the facilities in the National Gallery of Art (they just seemed a bit more inconspicuous and CLEAN compared to the hundreds of portapotties) and then decided she wanted to be an artist.

T and I both thought the kids program was a bit corny, but Em loved it soooo much! She was singing along, laughing and even raised her hand that she had prayed. When a woman came up to talk to her about about she replied, "Um... I'm eating right now!" What a goofball. This woman wanted me to fill out this sheet because she raised her hand (not saying it was a for real thing!) so I did - we'll see how they follow up.

I am so relieved for the people who spent years planning this event that we had one nice day for it. Two would have been fabulous, but one was great. We try to go into DC a few times a year and as I walked down the steps of the Gallery, it was so beautiful to hear Christian music - I think it was Jump 5. Usually we just see protesters of every kind down there or some folk festival. For once, I felt like God owned DC and it was an interesting feeling. Not elation or even safety, just a sense of power. God left the mark He wanted to leave, He brought the people He wanted and sent the message He wanted them to hear. I really respect that Luis Palau made this event as unpolitical as possible and he was true to his word. If there are another Festivals close by, I'd go again. If the weather was nice, I'd maybe invite friends.

I will say this, the skate park by far ruled the crowd today. I'm quite certain the program will, too, in the evening. I haven't checked to see if this event made the news, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Anything God can't get good press right on the steps of the Capital anymore it seems. I mean, 600 volunteers from this Festival refurbish 10 DC schools - did you hear about it in the news???? I doubt it!

No comments: