Monday, March 06, 2006

Those were the days...

Em and I have been running errands all day! She cracks me up most of the time, and today was no exception. I love when she creates something that reminds me of my own childhood. This weekend she has turned our living room (I had to move her from the stairs) into her library. She has organized piles of books, set up a checkout computer, has a schedule of story times and is, as I type, returning the books I borrowed on Saturday!

I can remember making up all sorts of things just like this when I was a kid. We played house, restaurant, hotel, library and school on a regular basis. We hoarded stickers, pads of paper, pencils, crayons, tissues and whatever else we might need to make these things happen. It was such fun! My best friend growing up had a huge trunk full of blocks that was our bat mobile. To this day, our control panel, made of blocks that we drew all our switches and dials on, remain at her mom's house. It was our amazing creation!

On the road today, in the car, Em announced to me that I had won a prize and asked what I would like for my prize. After breaking the news to me that she was unable to provide the trip to Disney World that I wanted, she proceeded to list all the prizes, including "books from the library where I work, you know, the one in our living room." She was so proud of her establishment!!

I am heading to the library for "Free Book Day" and I don't have to go very far. Because it's "her" library and she "makes the rules" we don't have to pay, it's all free! So funny, the things kids think that we don't even know about - paying for library books? Oh, she must have gotten that idea from all the fines her father is always paying at the library!!

No comments: