Thursday, March 02, 2006

Peace like a River

As usual, another morning with Beth Moore in God's word has conjured up childhood memories that are now building my understanding of another of Christ's characteristics. He is the Prince of Peace, and He provides peace like a river.

My first thought in this matter has to do with that title, Prince. All who know me are probably rolling their eyes right now, because, of course, I'm thinking Prince Charming! But back when those words were written, there was no Prince Charming - at the very least, no Disney World. So, what does Prince refer to? As Beth so eloquently put it, it refers to an authority figure. The idea that in order to gain access to this peace, we must submit to the authority that grants it. I'd never thought of that and all that it implies, but it does make more sense to me now.

However, that was not the part that really struck me today. It was the river that I couldn't get out of my mind!! As a child, I grew up near the Rooster River. I'm sure it's no surprise to you that it's really just a stream because it's pretty likely you've never heard of it!! We loved hanging out along various parts of this river, making mud pies on the bridge over it in the park, watching it on our walks to and from school, stopping for breaks over it, crossing it on the dry rocks that sometimes managed to rise above it, finding buried treasure in it (our mothers never agreed with the treasure part!) and searching for the toads and turtles that lived in and around it. These memories were all popping into my head, along with some thoughts.

Beth pointed out that we have access as children of God to peace like a river, not a pond. I thought about that for a minute and it struck me that I do think of peace as a pond. I think serene, quiet, calm and relaxed. That is peace to me. So why peace like a river? and why would I want that as opposed to my pond?? My thoughts were these:

Peace Like River:
always flowing
ever changing
stronger after the storm
rippling
refreshing
cleansing
moving

Now, I'm talking about a small river - because that is my reference point.
Always flowing
- my little river was never stagnant. Maybe some small pockets, but the water always flowed and in the same direction.
Ever changing
- those rocks we crossed over were hardly ever the same. Many washed away, downstream, and new ones would arise.
Stronger after a storm - we LOVED to go down to the river after days of rain, when it would swell, carrying yet more "treasures" for us to retrieve. The current was strong, it carried larger objects effortlessly and it was louder.
Rippling
- I loved watching the patterns in the water, like it had a mind of it's own, and the little waves it made in response to the rocks and pebbles it met. Then there was that reflection of myself that was always distorted by the movement. It had no concern for my appearance, in fact, it defied my outer trappings!
Cleansing
- the water was always clear, crisp and the movement allowed for it to be healthy, unlike the stagnant pond water with algae growing on it. It was perfect to cleaning off all that mud on my hands and feet, too!
Moving
- the water was always moving. We could count on it! So much so, that my brother was willing to bet his mittens on it!! Of course, the drainage pipe under the bridge was something he couldn't see, so when his mittens did not come out on the other side, where the water should have carried them, he knew he was in big trouble!

After considering these and a variety of other images, I realized that this is the peace I want. It's exactly what I need. I don't need peace in the quiet and calm, I need it in the storms of life, I need it to move along with my circumstances, to carry me, to move me, to change with my varying situations. I want a peace that will be with me no matter what I look like, that will cleanse me, refresh me and keep me from becoming stagnant. In fact, I don't think I'd peace in any other form.

As for the authority thing, I'm still working on that one, control freak that I am. Of course, peace like a river makes it such a sweet deal!

No comments: