Wednesday, March 15, 2006

10 Things I Love About Washington, D.C.

In an attempt to focus on the positive things about having to live here, here goes!

1. Cherry Blossoms - they are absolutely beautiful. Of course the pollen that they bring forth can be a little irritating, their beauty makes it quite forgivable!
2. The History - It's amazing the amount of history, national history, that happened right where you walk when you visit.
3. War Memorials - I think the reminder in downtown D.C. of the thousands of people who sacrificed their lives so that we could live in a free country - it's a great reminder to us, and a tribute to them.
4. Fountains - I love spring/summer because there are amazingly detailed fountains everywhere. I especially love them when they are clean. My favorite - has become the one between the Natural History and Gallery of Art museums.
5. Peace - I love it when you can find a peaceful spot in a city. Strolling along the mall in D.C. is peaceful, serene and quiet.
6. Festival Atmosphere - As peaceful as the mall can be, it can also be transformed into a huge carnival, a food fest, an Evangelistic Outreach, a rock concert or a symphony event. Also, the home of many a protest...
7. Diversity - D.C. is an extremely diverse city. Along with many tourists, diplomats, and international students are just the residents, who represent people from all walks of life, cultures and countries.
8. No Skyscrapers - It's nice to be in a city where you can actually see the sky! I believe no building in D.C. is allowed to higher than the Washington Monument, and that's a good thing!
9. The Metro - it's fairly clean, fairly safe (if you keep your eye on your stuff!) and very easy to navigate. I like simple!
10. Museums - Where else will you find so many world-class, phenomenal museums that are FREE!! Thank you, Smithsonian!

There, that's it. Now I'll get to work on the 10 things I *uh, hem* "dislike" about D.C.! It'll be hard to narrow them down!

No comments: