Thursday, December 22, 2005

William

So, I'm running around my house, trying to find a hole punch so I can punch holes in the recipe cards that need to get attached to the 8 jars of cookie mix I have just made for various people, thinking that I'll never get to make all the caramel corn for Kt's teachers tonight to fill the three large bowls I bought expressly for that purpose (what am I going to do with them now???), when I stop by my computer to find this. It's my anonymous blog commenter, and he left me a really good comment so I'll just post it for everyone to read:

OK. I was the anonymous poster. The mystery is over. I am basically a nobody. So there is no need to get too emotional over my post. And, there is definitely no offense taken. I wish you wouldn't have taken one either. Sounds like you just need to get well physically before xmas..good luck!

I don't think YOU are stoopid. I think that the "theory" word gets tossed about with the wrong meaning and that leads to confusion. And it makes people look stoopid when they do it.

My whole point is this:

It seems that whenever christians bump up against unfinished science investigation, like evolution, or the 16th century notion that earth was the center of the universe, or complicated structures inside cells they immediately jump to "god just made it that way".

One by one, all of the old wives tales that christians believed in the ages past are being replaced by reasonable explanations. The church has a pretty sorry record of dragging people down and quenching reason in the past. Why should we keep on falling for that old worn-out pattern?

What would happen if we all just said, "OK. God just made it that way."? Wouldn't that just put a lid on thinking and research? Doesn't that just keep us from seeking for answers to the things that make our world a better place to live in? What is there to research if things were just instantly created? There would be no need to look for the patterns and processes that brought about all of the life around us cuz god just popped it out of nothing.

There are documented advances in science and medicine that are directly related to people who refused to fall asleep in the "god just made it that way" slumber.

Anyway, have a nice xmas. Get some rest. And consider thinking outside the manger. There is much more to the universe than that.
Now, I like the name William. That was at the top of my list of names should I have had a boy. I didn't (and likely won't!). Not that that has anything at all to do with this comment, but the thought did pop into my head when I was thinking about him while I tied all those recipe cards onto the jars that are FINALLY done - no caramel corn, though!

William, thanks for your comment. I think it's clear we are mutually misunderstood. I loved your comment tonight. I agree with everything you've said. I do think there are more people than just Christians/the church who have disregarded science in acceptance of "spiritual it's just that way" answers. I am not opposed to science, research, and the improvement of lives through these means. I do have some limits, of course, because of my deep belief in the sanctity of life based on what I believe is the origin of life - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. If not, let me know.

The funny thing about me and science and being a Christ follower is that my parents (both Christians) never shoved anything down my throat. In fact, when I first stepped foot into that biology class, I'd never heard of evolution and certainly not in terms of or as an antithesis of creation. It was all new to me, and I was in high school! I was shocked to learn, when I approached the subject at home, that my parents knew all about it!! I thought I was going to teach them something new, but they beat me to it. I like this approach and it's one I've been using (not sure if it's a good one - we'll see) it with my own.

My oldest daughter, Kt, loves math and science. She is constantly sharing all her new "theories" with me, testing out her "hypothesis" and coming up with her conclusions based on flimsy "research." It's a fun process to watch and I think someday, she may find the answer to something amazing, maybe even save lives or at the very least improve someone's quality of life. I would be so proud of her.

As a believer in God as creator, I also believe that He left for us mysteries of life, of the universe and our world and I don't believe He meant for us to just accept it all as it is. He also created us with an incredible capacity to think, which I think separates us from all other creatures on earth. I just cannot accept that this intrinsic difference is something that can evolve, but I also don't think it should deter us from finding out.

My father was an avid science fiction freak, although I'm not really sure he considered it all fiction. It was difficult for me, as a child and even moreso as an adult, to fully understand his wonder with aliens, life on other planets and the metaphysical, but I have never been afraid to explore these possibilities. I think it has made me, as a believer, more open to spiritual truths and circumstances. I would love to see science embrace more than just the physical attributes and "hard evidence" and look beyond what we can see, but I guess that's not really science, is it? I think there are many Christian researchers who practice this kind of science these days and I believe it will change the face of science, but I'm getting a little lofty perhaps...

William, thanks again for your comments. I'm really no expert in this field and I believe that my thoughts that I put down in here may not be able to be substantiated all the time. I'm still learning how to blog, what it means and who will even bother to read it. I never expected you to stop and take so much time to correct me and make me think. I do appreciate it. And, I'm feeling alot better, too. Thanks!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Stop by again, any time, and share your perspectives. It's really good for me because at this point in my life, unfortunately, this is one of my only outlets into the real world. Me and my four year old spend a lot of time exploring life together and honestly, we rarely run into people who make us think. It's refreshing!!

No comments: