Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas Eve

I'm up here hiding in my bedroom, complete with a big fat lip. Actually, it's the largest cold sore I've ever seen! That ought to look great for our Christmas photos tomorrow. I ran out yesterday and paid $15 for the tiniest tube of Abreva. I'm beginning to think I've been ripped off, as this thing keeps getting bigger and bigger. I am not exaggerating, either, as I've been known to do in the past. What is going on?

I'm actually beginning to wonder if God gave me this hideous cold sore to remind me to pray for this little boy in Florida who got hit in the mouth with a golf club two days ago. He's the child of a family friend, we just visited them this past August. He's a sweet boy, had a difficult year with his parents going through a messy divorce. Apparently, he and a friend were playing outside when the friend took a swing and clogged him in the face. After a trip to the ER, he was airlifted to another hospital for reconstructive surgery. He's 7.

What I know is this: he has lost one permanent and one baby tooth, his gum/roof of his mouth was separated, his lip is completely split open down the center. We haven't had an update, so I'm guessing there is likely more damage. With everyone traveling yesterday, we decided to wait to check in today.

This is a family we know very well. Their extended family moved to FL a couple years ago from CT. I'm sure this will make for a very somber Christmas. If you think about it this year, send up a prayer for Cody and his family. This is a family that I grew up in church with, but they have wandered far from the church in recent years.

Cody's mom, who is going through this divorce, recently told me during our last visit that she has been attending church with a co-worker. She said this friend kept hounding her to visit with her and when she finally agreed, everyone at the church welcomed her saying they all knew who she was and had been praying for her. I cannot express in words (because I saw it in expressions/tears) what that meant to this 30something, single almost divorced mother of two. I will say she has spent the past few months dragging her parents to this same church, her mom is my mom's best friend.

Anyway, your prayers are quite welcome for this family. I'll take my cold sore over oral surgery and keep it as a reminder to pray for these dear friends. I hope you all have a restful, peaceful Christmas!!

No comments: