Wednesday, December 14, 2005

'Twas the Night Before Christmas Cards

(Our Christmas letter by the popular vote of 2 - Enjoy!!)

'Twas the night before Christmas Cards and all through the Sh's house
Not a creature was stirring, just De and her computer mouse.

The stockings were all hung waiting to be stuffed
By Santa himself, or his helpers who had shopped enough!

The girls were all nestled, all snug in their beds,
While visions of Christmas bliss danced in their heads.

T in his (I can't tell you), all curled up in bed
Popped up for a midnight work session instead.

When off in the office arose such a clatter
It's surprising not everyone arose with a chatter!

T came running, finding paper in flight
As De was trying to keep quiet in the night.

The moon shone through the window telling of late
"Keep it down!" calling T, "or the girls will awake!"

When what did our wondering eyes doth behold?
But a Christmas letter finally finished in bold!

With so many paragraphs about a year of activities.
Too many stories about ourselves, the busy bees.

More words than a dictionary spewed forth from the printer.
T whistled and whispered and read through the paper,

"Now stomach flu, Disney World in January and winter,
Onto birthdays and spring break in New England with mother.

To the pool in the summer after Hilton Head, Florida and the Ehr's,
In the country, first time on a farm for our country hearts.

And T off to Brazil with a group of students in August
While De stayed home with girls, bathrooms all dust!

Renovations that still leave our bank account dry
But our hearts full of thankfulness for the opportunity to try!

Now on T read, about Kt in second grade,
After chess camp and brownie camp and selling lots of lemonade.

And Em, we can't forget her in pre-K,
She's finally wanting to learn ABC's and counting away.

The girls, in their fun and fantastical ways,
Have brought more joy into our lives than we know how to say.

But really, our letter was just about our family,
We had almost forgotten to acknowledge the three.

Three Kings that came from afar with some gifts,
To worship a new King whose glory our spirits would lift.

Three or more shepherds, awaken by a brilliant angel,
Who announced the great occasion of Jesus in a cradle.

But not really, He rested in a manger on hay,
With young parents weary from traveling all day.

This new babe, our King and our Savior, Behold,
This is the story that on Christmas should be told.

So our best efforts worthless, we happily remembered,
To leave Jesus out of Christmas would be absurd.

He is the reason we have the things that we do,
He is the Great Gift Giver and Provider for you.

He gave us His Word, He completed His quest,
That provides our Salvation with only one request.

That we believe in His name as Creator of all,
That we follow Him with our hearts fully open to His call.

His invitation is most miraculous now,
As we see Him, our king, laying next to a cow?

How could it be? That our king was thus treated?
He wants you to know that your best is not needed.

He wants to show the world through you at this Christmas time,
His heart, His love and His Perfect Mind.

He's calling to you, and I imagine He's said,
"Merry Christmas to you, your ransom has been paid."

For those of you who came here to view this AND made it this far, here's this year's hot off the presses....2008 Recap. Not nearly as clever, but another idea. Merry Christmas!

20 comments:

Jeremy Del Rio said...

Whatever did you do with the author within when you didn't have a blog?

deanna said...

Ah, such a flattering comment! Surprisingly, I nearly failed college writing - my prof disliked my writing tremedously. I've never really thought of myself as an author - I think I might just be a blogger at heart!! Thanks, Jeremy!

Unknown said...

Hi! I was searching the net for creative Christmas letter ideas and yours popped up - I love it! Would you mind if I copied portions of it for my own family newsletter this year? May God bless you and your family this CHRISTmas season!

- Sally Henry, Pensacola FL

deanna said...

I don't mind at all - thanks for visiting!! Have a wonderful Christmas. ~deanna

Anonymous said...

I was dry in the ideas for Christmas letters, thankss for the help! You wove just enough of the family in with the real Christmas, I like that!!! Congrats, keep writing - - -
Jan

Anonymous said...

Hello...I also was searching the net for some kind of creative Christmas letter ideas and your cute poem came up...and I love it!! I would also like to use some of it in my 2007 family newsletter. Would you be so kind as to give me permission? Merry Christmas...I love the way you ended the poem...awesome!! In Christ, Georgia

deanna said...

Sure, GA, be my guest. And have a wonderful Christmas!=)

Unknown said...

Hello, I too stumbled across your beautiful letter. I was looking for something different this year. I have been doing Christmas letters every year since we had our first child. Now that this is the 8th one I am getting a little bored with the usual. I see you gave permission to others, but wanted to ask permission and to say what a great job you have done. I too stay home with my kids. There's not many these days that are blessed with that option. May God Bless You!
Nicole from NH

deanna said...

Thanks, Nicole - and sure you can!! I hope you have an awesome Christmas and continue to enjoy your time at home. It really is a blessing!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I, as others that have commented, came across your poem looking for new ideas for our Christmas letter. I too would like permission to use parts of your poem for my letter this year. I especially like the way that you brought Christ into it. Best to you and yours!
Lorna

deanna said...

Sure you can - and thanks for stopping by!~deanna

Lene said...

I just loved this!! If it is ok, may I modify it to suit my family? My husband also found it to be a brillant creation. I do wonder, how long did it take you to write this?

Thanks!

deanna said...

Thank you, and yes, you can use it. It took me about an hour - I think in the post before it I wrote about how my husband was working from home so I was working at the kitchen island that day - just me, my laptop and the book, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Of course, there was a bit of fine tuning!;-)

Have a Wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

We were not excited about a Christmas Letter this year, so we went surfing. Found you and now have the CHRISTmas Spirit. Thanks so much for you creativity. Not saying we will be that ambitious, but we are READY to get to it now. God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was just searching for ideas for a family Christmas letter and found your wonderful and fun to read letter. May I use it and fine tune it to fit my family? Thanks so much! Merry Christmas!!!

deanna said...

Absolutely! And have a wonderful Christmas!

tduran08 said...

I just LOVE your blog and this Christams letter. Would you mind if I used parts and some ideas from it. This is my first year writting a chrsitmas letter and I just love the way you put this all together! Blessings!

deanna said...

Please do! and Merry Christmas!!

Unknown said...

Great idea...I too, am tired of the same old letter. I would like your permission to "borrow" some of your letter, for my Christmas card letter this year! Thanks for the great idea! You are very talented. Merry Christmas

deanna said...

Yes, you can certainly borrow it in any way you see fit - it's a message for everyone this Christmastime. Merry Christmas!