Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Politics

I am not a huge fan of politics, therefore I would put them right up there on my list of reasons why I'd love to move. The "local" news around here consists of all the rantings of politicians and their scheming, crooked ways. Growing up in New England, we really only ever heard of the glamour of politics, you know, lifestyles of the rich and Kennedys. Being here, the inconsistencies of politics are just glaring. It's all based on public opinion polls, the blame game, election season, etc. The media just feeds off of all these inconsistencies. In the end, it's the people who lose to the whole stage show.

I'd have to say that I'm moderately conservative to very conservative in my political views. I don't think I fall in one place on the spectrum because I feel very strongly about some issues, such as abortion, and differently on others, such as poverty and health care. I feel like there's always room for improvement, no matter who is in the White House. What I do like is having a President who is consistent, honest, strong and without scandal. While I may not always agree with the decisions George W. Bush makes, I think he exemplifies what I would like to see in a leader of my country.

Lately, W's been getting some bad media. In fact, even when he was at his best the media was always trying to find that needle in the haystack, the one bad thing he did during his life on earth. It has bothered them and many a Democrat that there's hardly anything in his life worth reporting on, no big scandal that they can lay claim to, especially not while he has been in office. He appears to be a loving husband and father in the most authentic of ways, he seems committed to making decisions based on his convictions about what is best for our nation as opposed to his bank account, he doesn't bow to his critics but stands strong and supports those he places in positions of leadership. Now, I'm quite certain any opponent of Bush could come railing back with all kinds of interesting examples of how wrong I am, I mean, that's what their lives are all about, making W look bad, and it's a frustrating job because he's not looking so bad from where I sit.

Now, about this wiretapping thing. Are we to honestly believe, as Americans, that this proposal was meant to strip our freedom away? Well, maybe if you are an international terrorist, or you support them, then maybe you have a point. As a law abiding citizen, with no apparent connection to anything involving terrorism, I trust that my phones will not be tapped, even living only miles from NSA. Truth be told, if my phones were ever tapped, the guy on the other end listening would be snoring away! Now, I don't know all the little intricate details about this particular case, but I do know that if there's a wrong it will be made right but it won't be done by trying to claim that you never supported such a dastardly thing - as is common practice on both sides of the political fence. Fix what's wrong and stop playing the blame game. Find the terrorists in the fastest, most effective way possible instead of spending months arguing about how you are going to do it. We don't have time for that!No kidding, this was in my sitemeter a while ago. I saved it for such a time as this.

No comments: