Friday, December 02, 2005

Oh, Christmas Tree...

Today T worked from home, so, as some may have noticed, it was a slow blogging day for me!! It's OK because I was able to complete some chores that have been lingering. I also spent the morning at Em's school since it was our snack day. She insisted on bringing Smartfood - I was first introduced to this food at Gordon, where locals called it Smotfood and bought it at Staa Maaket. (I've noticed a few New England readers - I'm sure they'll appreciate what I'm talking about!) It was fun.

Mr. Bill the "music man" came today. He's this ex-hippie, far eastern traveled guy who goes to several preschools. Kt always loved him, so I assumed he was great with children - boy was I wrong! This guy doesn't have a patient bone in his body! He first sat them all down and introduced to them a guitar. He proceeded to play a few Rolling Stones and Grateful Dead songs (no joke!) and then "taught" them how to clap correctly, frequently exclaiming, "Oh, that's so sloppy! You just don't get it!!" at which point the children would giggle, then break out into a full fake laugh. It was disturbing for someone like me, who exudes order in the classroom! I'd never survive as a preschool teacher.

After this, he passed out little miniature guitars to all the students and let them play along. That was cute and he was fairly well behaved for this activity, except when it came to the one little boy who just couldn't follow direction, the one who strummed the wrong way, held the guitar the wrong way and eventually dropped his pick into the guitar exactly the way Mr. Bill told the whole class not to do. He was, shall I say, agitated! When they were finished with the guitars, he had the children line them up on a couch in the room (the school is in a church and we meet for music in a lounge type room). Once seated, he peered over at the neatly arranged guitars (thanks to yours truly!), leaned back with a very satisfied grin and said, "Now isn't that beautiful? That is amazing, I mean no one, NO ONE has that many guitars. I should take a picture of that!" I almost laughed out loud!!

From there, Em and I went home. We had lunch, I ran a bunch of errands, one to Toys 'R Us and by the looks of it, our economy must be on a major upswing! Friday afternoon, 2 pm, the place was a mob scene. I won't be heading there on a weekend in December if that's what a Friday afternoon looks like. I guess I'm back to Amazon! Fortunately, Em was at a friend's house, thus the trip to the toy store. I ran home and finished building our Christmas tree.

Now, I love Christmas and growing up my parents always had an artificial tree. I thought everyone had a fake tree. It didn't occur to me until I was in elementary school that some people actually buy real trees and put them in their houses. Once I discovered this, it's all I wanted. I finally convinced my parents to try this when I was much older, right around the time I developed allergies and asthma... T and I have always bought our trees fresh, a couple of times actually cutting them down. It was fun, I would do it again, but Kt suffers from terrible asthma and this fall mine recurred, so we decided to try something different. My mom was kind enough to donate her tree, which is one of the more realistic fake trees (that sounds so weird!).

So, the tree is built. Now, it just needs decorations, lights and some Christmas music and we'll be ready for our neighborhood pot luck - tomorrow night! I've got soooo much to do. It's always a treat to host the neighbors. I'll have to report tomorrow how it all goes - it's progressive. Appetizers at one house, main dish here and dessert at another neighbor's. I'm excited, but I have a long, long todo list, so I best be going....

No comments: