Monday, December 12, 2005

Dastardly Traffic Circles

Does the word YIELD mean anything to truck drivers? I'm really doubting that! After going to college for four years in Massachusetts, I've come to absolutely loathe traffic circles. They are confusing, frustrating, and I avoid them every chance I get.

A couple years ago, Howard County had the "brilliant" idea to take out a bunch of traffic lights and replace them with traffic circles. To add insult upon injury, they went ahead and made them 2 lane traffic circles! What a disaster!!! At each circle, there are clearly printed signs as to how you are to behave, i.e. who has to Yield, which lane you should be in to continue onto and off of it, arrows to remind you... Of course, for someone who has never encountered a traffic circle, you have only a split second to read all 40 signs that pertain to you before entering this maze of angry and frustrated drivers. If at all possible, avoid these crazy things.

A couple weeks ago, I was on my way to pick up my daughter from preschool. I am glad she was not in the car with me, because as I was rounding the circle in the outer lane as directed by the signs, a boxtruck came barreling into the circle, not even slowing down or heeding the two or three YIELD signs, white lines across the entrance lane or the fact that myself and 4-5 cars behind me were all in the circle already. No kidding - as I came to a screeching halt in that circle to avoid him smacking the side of my car where my daughter sits, worried that all the cars behind me would slam me right into him, he waved to me!!!!!!!!!! What was that?? I didn't even have time to wail on my horn as I might have been led to do.

Now, if that wasn't scary enough, not to mention infuriating, today I had a similar experience. I was coming around the center lane, which was the only lane I was "allowed" to be in and this guy in a utility truck, who can enter from either of his two lanes, who doesn't need to even enter in the center lane, comes barreling into the circle, slams on his brakes just nearly missing my van. I'm completely at a loss for words when it comes to describing the stupidity of drivers in these circles. Can I just say - for the record - I absolutely HATE traffic circles!! They are unsafe, poorly planned and designed and should only be used with horses and buggies!!!!! This is the 21st century people. We have electric, we have traffic lights - let's use them! Stop this insanity, please, someone.

OK - enough. Now, I'm not blasting all truck drivers, especially not those who drive 18 wheelers. I am complaining about people who drive and don't read signs!!! or who choose to disobey them. I'm also complaining about the people in charge of making these ridiculous circles - will you please cut it out!!!

No comments: