Friday, December 23, 2005

Learning to Give

So as not to be left out of the festivities, Em has shown great interest this year in gift wrapping! Yesterday, upon realizing that today would be Kt's birthday, she brought me a monkey puppet to wrap for Kt. This puppet was actually made by Kt for Em, so I'm not sure if she just wanted to wrap something or if she really was giving something she loved (and she loved this puppet!). So, we wrapped it together.

I love my children to give at Christmas. At the preschool the girls both attend(ed) they have a no gift policy and instead the parents pool together money and give that to the teachers. Now, the thought is nice, but it teaches nothing to the children about giving. So, we always break the rule! We give to the pool AND we give gifts. Last year, Em was kind of impartial to giving, but this year she was excited to give. She handed each person their gift and you could just see the smile on her face and in her heart. (Now, it might have helped had I remembered to put the Starbucks gift cards in the adorable little tags - I had no idea until TODAY - so embarrassed - will have to run them in first thing in January!!)

Last night, I had a little plan. We had this "extra" gift lying around so I decided to let Em wrap it for Kt's birthday. Now, I thought ahead a bit, because every gift Em has given she has desperately wanted. Each time we wrap something up for a friend, Em will tell me over and over, "You know, I would like that for me. How about we give her...." So, I called her in and said, "Now, Em, I have something for you to wrap for Kt's birthday. I want you to remember when you see it that even though it might be something you would like, you will have a chance in a couple weeks to get lots of things your sister will like. Don't worry - you will get plenty for your own birthday." In typical second child fashion, she took one look at the Nail Design kit and said, "Oh, I don't like that. Let's go wrap it!" She didn't even know what it was!! All that preparation... I should have known!

This morning, Em came running into our room bright and early. T was in the shower and I was trying to catch a few more ZZZ's before all the things I needed to do today. She jumped up on the bed and said, "Kt's wants to open her birthday gift. The one I'm giving her. Can she open it?" She could hardly contain her excitement. I knew what had happened. Em's our morning child, Kt could sleep all day! Em wanted to give. There was the scrapbooking fanatic in me that wanted to say, "Wait - let me get my camera!", but then I thought better about it. I didn't want to spoil that rich moment between sisters (who really do love each other), so I let them have that moment together.

On top of that birthday present was also something her sister can treasure. It was a homemade birthday card, the first Em has ever completed on her own. I spelled out the message and she wrote each letter (first time!). The front said: Katie, Happy Birthday, Emily Sheng. On the inside it reads simply, Katie, I love you. Emily. That was all she wanted Kt to know!

I'm so excited for this Christmas. We have for each person a gift from the girls and I'm going to have Em pass them out this year. She is just bursting forth with generosity and I want to give her an outlet. She will learn this year, I believe, how it is often more blessed to give than to receive. (although, she is getting some sweet gifts this year!)

No comments: