Sunday, December 04, 2005

Megachurch vs. Minichurch

This is going to be a short post (I promise) but I may expand it a bit in the future. These are brief thoughts prompted by our church's upcoming move into our new, improved facility in a month.

As a student at Gordon College in the late 80's/early 90's, I recall my disdain at the future building projects that Gordon had committed to upon my leaving. Our small, cozy chapel was to be no more. Instead, upon the "pit" that we parked our cars in, there would be built what we sarcastically referred to as the Gordon College "Cathedral". In our eyes, it would be the grandest, most ostentatious building on campus. There was even a heated debate among the community of Wenham as to the shadow that would be cast upon the small, winding Grapevine Road. It wasn't really the idea of the expansion of the college that was so unnerving as the prospect of losing parts of campus we had come to love and know as our home. It was a bittersweet transition.

That is sort of the way I feel about our church now. I am personally not attracted to big churches. They don't feel comfortable to me, they are typically impersonal and too overwhelming for me. Having grown up in a tiny Baptist church, then moving on to a slightly larger, yet still small Baptist church, off to the large yet casual setting of a Christian college, into the larger, extremely conservative nondenominational church, the decision to attend Grace was really motivated by a need I had for spiritual motivation and positive fellowship. (was that a run on or what?) Anyway... being a ISTJ, for all you Meyer's Briggs fans, a very serious introvert, I tend to shy away from large group anythings. Grace was a big church in a small building so I figured I could handle it.

Being involved in our church has really brought a few things to the forefront of my thinking, especially as we prepare to move over to the 1,300 seat auditorium with the real big church feel. I have so many reservations about this move for many reasons. First, I think it will change our church body in many ways that we are unprepared for. We have always leased buildings, so busting out walls, painting funky things on the walls and basically "thrashing" what we have has never been a huge concern. Secondly, I don't want the fake church feeling that large churches sometimes give off. I found myself, just today!, greeting people with "Hi, so-and-so, how are you?" as I was walking away... What? have I fallen into some fake pattern or am I just totally socially challenged? Probably both. I want this church to remain the authentic church it has always been to me. Finally, being able to get lost in a church is not a good thing. I tell people all the time who talk to me about coming to Grace that they better be prepared to participate. We've never been a seat-warming kind of church, but that comes easily the larger a church is.

I love our church, but I'm not sure it's where I would choose to fellowship if I were to walk into our new facility. At the same time, we've seen an influx of very committed, authentic Christians joining us, along with a large number of unchurched people. There is something big happening here and in my heart of hearts, I want a piece of what God is planning. It's going to be big, I can feel it and the rumble is starting. Last night, at the neighborhood pot luck, talk of our building (only a few miles from where I live) dominated a lot of the conversation. It was fascinating. It overwhelmed me, the responsibility we will share in glorifying God over anything we could pull off.

Really, small churches have so many advantages, too, just as a big church does. I would love for my children to experience both, which is why we regularly attend my mom's church in CT. When we head up to New England, the girls look forward to walking into the church where everyone knows them, where Sunday School teachers, even though they only see them every couple of months, remember their names among the 6 or 7 students they have each week. We are proud of having Uncle D be a drummer in a church where there are two, not more than we can count, drummers, where everyone who wants to can be a part of a worship team, where servants aren't turned away because there are so many who want to serve. My girls enjoy people of all ages, who are ministered to by a variety of worship styles, a choir, a praise band, a worship team all in one service! (Imagine that!) It's a small church, pot luck kind of existence.

With these two extremes I see the same impact on community, just on different levels. I see the ability to serve the community in different ways. I see God using both venues to reach all different kinds of people. I think, there is a place in this world for both kinds of churches, big and small. I am thankful that we have the opportunity to experience both. I am amazed that we are blessed with the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love... Thank you, Jesus. And please bless this move. May we be responsible with what You have entrusted to us and not overwhelmed with ourselves! but with You!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D- Funny you should right this I have been thinking about this move a lot lately...it kind of freaks me out ;)!Let's have a curves date soon!!!