Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Bite Worse Than My Bark

So I put a little post out there about the whole "Intelligent Design" vs. "Evolution" theory, woof, woof. When I got home last night from last minute Christmas shopping, feeling pretty worn out after being sick all week I find these two comments on my blog. Nice, I rarely get comments, so I was interested. After reading them, I was wondering why is it that I like to receive comments. Very interesting...

I find it amazing that these guys searched on this particular subject and basically chose me like a needle in a haystack of celebratory evolutionists. I mean, I couldn't find my post until around page 10 or so and even then I was only the second or third post that was procreation. Thanks for picking on me, guys!

Anyway, truth be told, I have no idea if they are both guys because one critic chose to remain anonymous. I guess if you are going to tell a blogger they look stupid, you ought to do that! In my insensed, worn out and exhausted state, I furnished a reply that was quite a bite. My husband, T, read it and after his exclamation (I won't repeat it) he made this little snide comment to me, "Well, I guess you're not a 'new kind of christian.'" We both laughed and he threatened to report me to the powers that be. I replied, "No, I'm not!" He also mentioned I might want to take a little more time and post a "thoughtful" reply. I told him THAT WAS my thoughtful reply! Of course, in order to not embarrass him, I trashed my comment. I'm not sure who had the chance to read it for the hour it was posted...

So, my unemotional reply to these fellows, and I'll try to keep it brief, is this:

1. Evolution is not a fact. It is loosely supported by "evidence" that is widely disputed. There is, in fact, just as much if not much more evidence against it.

2. Although creationism is an "origin of life" topic which is seemingly in a different category than evolution, there is an aspect of evolution that IS taught AS FACT in biology (I did pay attention, maybe not absorbed...) that life started as a single cell. In essence, this opens the door to other possibilities, especially if you are going to put this theory to it's proper test.

3. I am opposed to a narrow minded point of view presented in classrooms pertaining to evolution, I admit. I do think "Intelligent Design" is worth a mention, even in a science class. I think to suggest that it is "unconstitutional" to do this is absurd. Tim - religious education? You'll not find that in any public school in America. This case is the perfect example of why. There is complete and utter fear at the mere mention of religion in schools today.

4. I will give you this one - I sound stupid, "Mr. Anonymous." I don't remember actually claiming to be brilliant, especially where this subject is concerned. My blog is merely a collection of thoughts, memories, insights. I taught first grade, that's 6 and 7 year olds if you don't know that. You might be relieved to know that I taught the five senses, plants, air and water and weather for science. I don't think that required a complete knowledge of scientific theories, hypothesis, and any other details I may have misconstrued. I was well liked by my high school science teachers, who were best friends, and they gave me great marks and told me never to pursue a career in any field of science. I listened and you've confirmed to me that I made the right choice!!

5. I do believe in creation - as if you couldn't figure that out! In many ways, that makes me narrow minded, although I will try my best to convey to my children what they will encounter in life, including evolution. As I have previously mentioned, my understanding of this subject is minimal at best, but I can crack the books with my children and that is what I will do. I will present the balanced version of what they are hearing, the other possibilities that will never be presented in a public school setting in America. As a parent, that's my right and while I would love to see more balance in public schools, I will not pursue any legal avenues to attain this. I choose to spend my energy on other things, like my kids!

6. I DO believe in dinosaurs. Are you surprised? Do you think I'm completely nuts now!? I think there is ample evidence to suggest they existed before the time of the flood, that the atmosphere of the earth after the flood changed in such a way that they could no longer exist. So simplistic, I know. I guess that's a symptom of faith.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Hope I haven't offended anyone in my response or looked too stupid again! It's hard being a 'new kind of christian' when I'm so old!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I was the anonymous poster. The mystery is over. I am basically a nobody. So there is no need to get too emotional over my post. And, there is definitely no offense taken. I wish you wouldn't have taken one either. Sounds like you just need to get well physically before xmas..good luck!

I don't think YOU are stoopid. I think that the "theory" word gets tossed about with the wrong meaning and that leads to confusion. And it makes people look stoopid when they do it.

My whole point is this:

It seems that whenever christians bump up against unfinished science investigation, like evolution, or the 16th century notion that earth was the center of the universe, or complicated structures inside cells they immediately jump to "god just made it that way".

One by one, all of the old wives tales that christians believed in the ages past are being replaced by reasonable explanations. The church has a pretty sorry record of dragging people down and quenching reason in the past. Why should we keep on falling for that old worn-out pattern?

What would happen if we all just said, "OK. God just made it that way."? Wouldn't that just put a lid on thinking and research? Doesn't that just keep us from seeking for answers to the things that make our world a better place to live in? What is there to research if things were just instantly created? There would be no need to look for the patterns and processes that brought about all of the life around us cuz god just popped it out of nothing.

There are documented advances in science and medicine that are directly related to people who refused to fall asleep in the "god just made it that way" slumber.

Anyway, have a nice xmas. Get some rest. And consider thinking outside the manger. There is much more to the universe than that.

deanna said...

William,
Thanks for your post - I replied in a post because you deserve your own post. You should have a blog, unless you already do? Have a great holiday and visit again sometime - keep me thinking...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind comments.
Hope you are enjoying your christmas.
Looking forward to stopping by some next year.

deanna said...

No problem - and a Very Merry Christmas to you, too! (or whatever other holiday you may be celebrating this time of year!)