Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Immense

That is the only word I can come up with right now to describe our new church building. I say that with only partial knowledge of how large it really is. I volunteered to make some sandwiches and pick up some snacks and drinks for the guys working there, installing some of the 1,300 chairs that have to go in over the next few weeks.

As I drove into the parking lot, I saw a man walking up to the trailer, so I stopped to ask him where I might drop off some food. He directed me to a series of large generators along the back wall of the church and told me to go into door. I drove down there, very icy from this morning's snow, and pulled up in front of 4 sets of doors. I'd have to say I was a little intimidated! I walked up to the first set, opened and walked into a boiler room. Clearly, that was not it. I walked into another set and ended up in much the same kind of room. Finally, I walked up a small slope into another set of doors and walked into the "shell" of a room that will be finished later.

Now, I'm imagining this particular room all along to be dwarfed by the rest of the building, because in all the plans I've seen (and I've only seen plans and the outside of the building itself) this particular room is small comparatively. Today, I walked into a room the size of our current church. No kidding. It was huge. There is stuff piled all over that room and in the middle is a circle of tables with chairs, probably about 40 chairs around about 8 tables. And they looked tiny. No kidding.

I finally made my way into what will be the sanctuary. They are currently installing those chairs, finishing up sound system stuff and who knows what else. I was just dropping off a few sandwiches. The foreman met me, he's the nicest guy around, a real pleasure to meet. I think he would have taken me all over the building if I had had the time. Anyway, when I first walked into the auditorium, there's an overhang where the balcony will be that makes the room feel much smaller than it really is. I was trying to sneak in and out quickly so I hadn't really taken much time to look around, I was just looking for people. Plus, I was the only one without a hardhat, so that made me slightly nervous, as things are hanging from the ceiling and piled up everywhere.

This man says to me, "So, what do you think?" I didn't know what to say, so I said, "It looks great!" (Understatement!) Then I turned around, took in the full extent of the room and sort of gasped. I then followed my tiny statement with, "WOW! THIS IS HUGE!" They all laughed at me. I thanked them all for working to get this done. All the "armrests" or chair supports have been put in. Tonight they will start unpacking each chair, assembling it and installing it. It's actually amazing!

I left the building, having only seen about 1/3 of it, saying, "God, you are so big! Why are you doing this for us?" It's a huge responsibility. It's the culmination of hours of planning, praying and working. I don't see how it will be done by Jan 1, but that's not my problem right now. I'll just keep bringing food to those who are giving time to make this happen. T is heading over tonight to volunteer putting in some AV wire. I can't wait! to hear what he thinks about the place. He'll see more than me. It's exciting!

No comments: