Monday, December 19, 2005

More Crazy Kid Flashbacks - The Shed

I should be taking a nap, but since I can't breathe I'm putting away all the stuff in our bathroom that has been sitting in my room until the bathroom is complete, which it is! YEAH!!!!

Since my little trampoline post, I've been remembering all kinds of things from my friend's house when I was growing up, especially the crazy kids - surprised we're still alive things. There aren't a whole lot - I mean, we WERE girls!! We loved girly things, so we pretty much stayed out of big trouble. One thing we loved, but had to share with the big boys, was this very awkward "shed" in my friend's backyard. It was about the size of a garage, two stories high and very dilapidated. The stairs were unattached, so it was kind of hard to get in. I refused (being the little lady that I was) to crawl under the shed and up through the gaping hole in the floor. The whole while I was in that shed, I would worry that floor was going to collapse beneath me.

Whenever we were allowed, J and I and whoever else might be hanging around would have our "club" meetings in the shed. We had so many clubs, so I can't really tell which ones met in the shed because I don't really remember. What I DO remember is that we had a ticket to get into the clubhouse. It was a leaf from our favorite bush (probably more like an overgrown weed!) and these leaves smelled like oranges. I haven't the slightest idea what kind of weed or plant this might be, but I'll never forget it! It smelled better than the honeysuckle that was near the trampoline.

Inside this shed, once you presented your orange fragranced ticket, was just a huge nothing. There were three or four window, most too high for me to see out of, and there was a ladder that went to the loft. We were not supposed to go up in the loft and we didn't. I think we were all too scared of two things. First, that we would fall, as all the wood in that shed was rotten, and second, of the wrath of her brothers and their friends. They did things in the shed we were not allowed to talk about, which was fine with me because I wouldn't have known what to tell about them anyway. I had no idea what they did up there (although now that I'm grown, I have a pretty good idea...).

I loved that shed and I'm quite certain it was the source of many of my childhood splinters. It's where we like to play Wonder Woman with the coffee can wristbands her brother had cut, where we found old souvenirs from times past, where we collected various bugs, the likes of which we had never before seen, it was for us an alternate reality to the already idyllic life we led! Thinking back on it, it's a wonder that thing didn't collapse on our heads while we danced inside!!

No comments: