Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving Reflections...


I'd have to say this will go down as one of our best Thanksgivings! We spent nearly a week in Connecticut with my family, got lots of rest, did tons of shopping, went to the movies, partook of some great food and I'm not sure anyone wanted to leave - well, maybe T did!! The rest of us were moaning, though. And to top it all off, the drive home was spectacularly uneventful. We had a few pockets of traffic, but still made it home in 6 1/2 hours - pretty good for the Sunday after Thanksgiving!

Kt did a little Thanksgiving "actividee" with the help of my mom, who had punched out extra leaves. She set up the leaves on the kitchen table complete with directions. Every person received a pile of leaves and a marker. We were to write things we were thankful for on one side and our name on the other. She was going to let us share unique ones, but instead ended up decorating the dining room table with them. It was fun. Only my brother refused to follow directions (what else is new). I guess he has nothing but geometric patterns to be thankful for! Of course, since Uncle D is the "cool" one, it didn't bother Kt at all!

I don't know about everyone else, but I get a little overwhelmed when I think of things I should be thankful for. It's just an endless list of things and it's rather embarrassing I think. I honestly cannot fathom having nothing to be thankful for. I don't even know what that looks like. I took pictures of some of the leaves on our Thanksgiving table to remind myself of the many things we have to be thankful for. I had put on one of my leaves "My Two Beautiful Daughters" and at one point during the day, Kt brought that one to me with a big smile on her face. I realized that I don't tell my girls enough how thankful I am for them, let alone all the things in our life that I'm thankful for. It was a good "actividee" and hopefully will become a regular practice for us.

Now, with Thanksgiving behind us, we can begin to plan for Christmas. I believe this is my favorite holiday, which is why I get a little nutsy when they tell me at Kt's school that I'm not allowed to say that word. Just blows me away!! I still haven't figured out why Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan are OK to say on a regular basis, but we cannot mention Christmas. I've not gotten an acceptable answer. Strange!

My plan for December is to blog less, decorate more. I won't be absent from this wonderful outlet, but I might be shopping more (don't tell T!), baking more and just plain enjoying the season. I'm excited to have my family here this year - again! - and even more excited that it's just around the corner. But first - Kt's first slumber party - more to come later. (funny story about T and Kt over Thanksgiving here!)

Some more thankfulness:














This one was my mom. This was my personal favorite, by Aunt J (I love chocolate, too!)

















This by the first child. This by the second!!! And finally, by us all but articulated best by my second grade "genius"















From the Sheng Girls, with Thankful Hearts!

No comments: