Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Be a Hummer

Today has been busy, in the stay-at-home mom sense. I tutored this morning. This sweet little boy who doesn't know even half of his alphabet. I asked him this morning if he wanted to do numbers today and he said yes. I told him we could do numbers right after we do our letter flashcards and he replied, "And then can we do the ABC's?" We've got some work to do!

After tutoring I ran to the tile store to see if I could find that one last piece of bathroom tile, the one in the closet that doesn't match the rest. Mind you, I could have called the guys who did our bathroom, but I'd rather not talk to them, because I'm nonconfrontational! At least I try to avoid it all cost!! I was able to secure two tiles (after sending T to two different stores last night) and figured out why we couldn't find them. They are "stacking" tiles, meaning they have a flat top so you can put wall tile above them. Can I just say "no attention to detail" one more time? Do we have wall tile? No. End of story. So glad I didn't call!!

After picking up Em and eating lunch, we decided to go out and buy her some new flannel sheets. She woke up this morning (last night, actually) to inform me that her sheet had a "hole" in it. Upon examining the sheet, I can see that the tear, which goes from one side of her bed clear across to the other, is unmendable. She was VERY disappointed because they are her cat sheets. I wasn't surprised because they were MY cat sheets!! So, off we went to Marshall's to find sheets and picked up some bath towels, too, for that new bathroom.

On our way home we got stuck in some unusual traffic. At first, I thought it was a school letting out, but then I quickly realized it was a 4 car "pile up," actually more of a fender bender with a couple broken windows. One of the four cars happened to be (funny - the third car in the row) one of the new MD undercover Ford Mustangs. Can you say "high taxes"? I knew all that money wasn't going to education! Anyway, while we were sitting there, this Range Rover in front of me decided not to wait a moment longer and turned to the right a bit, hit the gas and went barreling over a grassy area into an adjoining parking lot, never once stopping or looking back to see the two deep tire tracks it left. Em thought it was amazing! Her reaction exactly to me was, "Mom, did you see that car go over the grass? That was SO COOL!" (Please pray for us - this is our second child speaking, and I'm afraid it's a sign of things to come...)

So, why is it that it is so cool to see an off-road vehicle actually do what it's supposed to do? I mean, I have thought about this for a long time, since my husband insists on having one for himself (an off-road vehicle!). Why have one if you are never going to use it in the way it was intended to be used? I believe, or at least back in the 90's this was true, that most Range Rover owners have never even thought of taking this well built, well equipped vehicle off road. MAYBE they might park it on their yard and might even possibly drive it onto a beach. But, never off road. Why? It's a luxury vehicle, not a vehicle meant to go "out of the lines", so to speak. Right? Wrong!! But that's what they have evolved into.

Now, I'm not trying to promote illegal driving practices, but I do want to propose that some of us may have been designed for "off-roading." I'm talking we were created to do something that we aren't doing because we've become too comfortable. We listen to what people tell us is OK, within the bounds of life, church, community, etc. I mean, we wouldn't want to put any wear and tear on these beautiful packages of ours that we've worked so hard (well some people, anyway!) to maintain, would we? Did God design some of us or all of us to go off-road? to do something different, something unconventional that makes sense (is not illegal or sinful) but might be viewed by others as "incorrect" or "out of bounds" from our ordinarily standard "christian" ways? It's an interesting question, and I can only answer it for me. However, I can see tracks along my life's road where people I know have done exactly that and left the evidence to remind me. But that's another blog altogether.

I really think God designed all of us to turn into off-road vehicles once we decide to follow Him. He calls us to do differently, think differently and act differently than what others perceive to be right. He calls us to do what we know in our hearts what He would want us to do, and we know what that is the closer we are to Him.

There are likely different levels of this particular vehicle. I wouldn't have taken my minivan over that grassy divide today, but I might have taken T's Montero, definitely the Range Rover but more likely that Hummer that my husband drools over. And even though we notice the Hummers more, not every person is designed to be that obvious! I would encourage you to live as you are designed and figure out where God is choosing you to go off road. Maybe He made you a Hummer!

No comments: