Monday, November 21, 2005

Heading Home In Trouble!

We are heading off to CT today - I'm psyched! but I'm also in a bit of trouble. I was home a few weeks ago and noticed a little note in the bulletin at my mom's church advertising leaf raking by the church youth group for shut-ins, widows, elderly, sick, you name it. Now, as some of you may know, this is a service we provide at our church organized by my husband, and while I would love to take our bus full of kids up to CT that's just not possible (fun, but ...). Without my mother's knowledge or permission, I made the grave error of contacting this youth pastor by email about how helpful it would be for my mom to have her leaves raked. Ever since my father died, my brother and his wife have been helping her each year, and we try to chip in whenever we are up there. It's a big job, and somehow they have always managed, but not after days of dealing with it. I thought, what a great opportunity for my mom and this new youth pastor (the last one was let go, I'd hoped this one was better!) and his kids.

Well, it wasn't long after I had emailed this guy that I received a note back from him that I was the ONLY person who had contacted him about this service. He had run the little blurb in the bulletin for two weeks with no response. He would call my mom and set up a time to take a group over there. When I emailed my mom with this information I might has well have blindfolded myself, tied my hands behind my back and handed her the rifle!! She was livid with me!! It took about a week before I had her convinced that SHE was doing this guy a favor by providing this wonderful opportunity not only for these kids to learn to serve, but also for this youth pastor to have some fun time with the kids. (I will regret this tactic of guilting my mom into allowing this!)

Here we are, three weeks later. My mom FINALLY contacted this guy a couple weeks ago, set up a time LAST weekend for them to come, waited all day, no show. NO SHOW!!!! I thought, well, maybe they went to the OTHER house - address very similar but on the other side of town! So, my mom and brother drove by that house, which was buried in leaves. Unlikely!

The youth pastor finally called her last week and said they couldn't find her house..... not sure I'm buying that! Anyway, he wanted to come this past Saturday, would that be OK? My mom, who had spent Sunday a week ago raking all her leaves with my sister-in-law, agreed to let them come. Guess what??? NO SHOW!!!! She finally got a call FROM A STUDENT! saying they were out raking all day (and we were the only ones who contacted them?!?!?!?) and didn't have time. Could they stop by tomorrow. Well, N-O! I told my mom at that point not to bother. Just go out. No reason to sit around the house all day waiting for this #^$% to show up - pardon my anger!

Now, I'd say this is a story of youth minister gone bad! I'm totally embarrassed by this guy. My mom was sitting at home, CHECK IN HAND, because she was refusing to let these guys rake and not support their ministry, and they twice passed her by. A widow. In their church. Now I ask you, are we not called as a church to take care of our widows? What is going on here??

Anyway, I'm in trouble now. I'm packing to head up there with my family. I stayed up until 2:30 am! doing laundry, now I'm actually packing bags (while I finish that laundry) and the car and I'm thinking, should I pack the rakes?? 'Cause I'm gonna be raking!!!

2 comments:

Jeremy Del Rio said...

Hopefully mom has mercy on a loving daughter who meant to bless not harm ... :) Happy Thanksgiving!

deanna said...

Haha - today was payback for my mom. I took her car in for her free "oil change" only to be stuck there for 2 hours while they also took care of a recall. Happy to do it, hoping we're even!