Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

I'm not really sure I like the name for this particular day, but it sure was fun!! Of course, while all these retailers are entering black, I fear I'm entering red. My mom and I got up a little early, in the FREEZING cold - I might add, and headed for the mall. We did a small amount of shopping. It's fun to do things I wouldn't do by myself at home with someone I love, like my mom!
Last night we had the next door neighbors over for dessert. This couple has lived here longer than my family. They are super sweet, nice neighbors. They are both in their 70's now and it's fun to sit and reminisce about the past. When I was a little girl. preschool age, I used to "hang out" with my neighbor, the car mechanic. I knew the names of all the important tools and would pass then to him while he was underneath various cars. Later, when his son was in his early 20's, I would climb all over the frames of the stock cars he would build in their garage. I would also accompany this neighbor to the Danbury Fair and Big E for the stock car races, and lots of fun!! It was a great relationship, one that is remember fondly by us all!
When T and I lived in our townhouse, we had neighbors just like this. Kt used to visit them daily and it reminded me of these wonderful neighbors. We do miss those visits and while we try to go back to visit, it's nothing like having them right next door. Em will never know what it's like to have this kind of relationship, however, she has something Kt doesn't - a best friend, right across our court. She spends hours over there and loves every minute of it.
I'm not sure which I would prefer as a child or even as a parent. Both would be great, but one of each is nice, too. Of course, being able to visit everyone for the holidays just makes them all the sweeter - the friends, and the holidays! I'm thankful for the opportunity to share memories of really awesome neighbors with them, not to mention brownies, pecan and apple pie!

No comments: