Sunday, November 13, 2005

Blogging

While blogging can be addictive, I'm finally at a point, most likely from sheer exhaustion, where I can't think of anything to blog about. At least not anything that's interesting! All day yesterday, as I was running around, I was blogging in my head. I was going to write a quick post about how the leaf raking bus was late and ended up being late enough for one last kid to jump on as his mom pulled into the parking lot 1 hour late!, how my kids, who were given very specific instructions on their cleaning duties, took a detour to the TV while I was scrubbing toilets (that didn't last long!), how we survived all the teenagers eating lunch at our house, for some reason choosing to congregate in our living room leaving the family room virtually empty (so strange), how I took a great power nap before heading to my scrapbooking event - which was great, and finally about the crazy people at this particular event.

You know, now that I think about it, it is a strange group of women. I do a lot of these events, as the calligrapher. This one, by far, never fails to amaze me. I think I might be exposing myself to things that may be detrimental to my well-being! I tend to sit by the door, where some of these women take their cigarette breaks. Does wonders for my asthma! I'm generally seated near at least one table where curse words are not only a regular part of the conversation, but occasionally make up a majority of it. I'm talking real curse words, you know, when they say them as verbs, adjectives and nouns, complete in one sentence! Then I had to do some work for a woman who couldn't make it. Apparently she HAD to go some bar that was closing early where they do some heavy drinking/stripper thing - I'm not sure of all the details, and it did raise a lot of questions, but her friend who was sharing all this info with me finally looked and said, "But I'm probably telling you more than you want to know?!!" to which I replied, "Uh, yeah, hahaha." It's a funny group, and they are so different from what I am used to. The SO interesting thing about them - the two women consultants who organize this crop are two Christian women, and I love them! They love this group of women, they are warm, welcoming and I've never once heard them make any snide comments about these women or their conduct. They never act like they are any different from them, other than in their conduct, which is probably more like mine than the crowd. It's a ministry and it's a joy to be invited to join them.

I think I've been privileged in this way through my little traveling calligraphy deal - I get to observe and experience business practices of women like myself and take notes on what I would want to be should I ever (and I have NO plans to!) become any kind of consultant, salesperson. I've been scrapbooking for 10 years and have only really met two or three women I would ever want to work for - and one of them was from last night. It's really a pleasure to know these women, I'm sure there are more somewhere out there, but I appreciate this experience. Not to mention all the other women I meet and getting to know about them through their scrapbooks. It's fun and educational!

Well, I'm off to Pizza Hut for a Space meeting with Tony. I'm kind of surprised he invited me. Kt and I sold girl scout cookies this morning in front of Giant, then I let her go home with a friend. Interesting - I think the mom thought I would make Kt go to church, but I didn't. Am I bad? I'll find out later! Anyway, fun time with other moms. It's nice to have a child that other moms like - except that I never get to see my daughter. She's always at someone else's house!

No comments: