Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Oh, To Feel Loved...


Kt, my older daughter, is my thinker. She used to say the most profound things as a young, young child. She still does, but now that she's older we don't always notice them as much. Today at school the librarian (who is wonderful!) is hosting an after school movie, The March of the Penguins. My experience with these after school movies is that they are rowdy, unorganized and well-loved by the students! I mean, what student wouldn't love to let loose at school with all his/her friends and the goofy librarian??

Today we signed the permission form, stuffed $4 in an envelope and sent Kt on her way. While I was waiting with her at the bus stop, I said to her, "If you change your mind and decide you don't want to go to the movie, just come home on the bus. I'll be here!" She smiled this big smile and replied, "There are two things I love about after school movies. One is the movie and the second thing is that you always want me to come home instead of going to the movie! I think you just want me to be with you!!" And she's right!! but how did she know that?

This just reminds me of how really important it is to talk to our children and really let them know how we feel. It's OK to let them go, but make sure they know we really want them to be with us! I'm always complaining to Kt about how it's not fair that her teacher gets to spend more time with her than I do on any given school day, how all her friends want to have her over and I miss even more time with her. I chide her on wanting to go out when I just want to snuggle up with her. I let her go, but I'm glad that she recognizes how much I miss her.

I think a lot of the time about how I don't want to die. I don't want to leave my children, my husband, my family behind. I don't want to give up all the things I've grown to love, although the thought of heaven, stressfree, new body, being with Christ, does sweeten the deal ever so much!! I think God probably loves it when we recognize that He wants us to be with Him, but He's leaving us here for a reason. Do we really recognize how much He would love to bring us home to be with Him? Or are we so attached to things here on earth that we would rather ignore that love? There are two things I love about heaven. One is that it sounds so wonderful. Two is that it's that place where God wants me to be, with Him, forever. Oh, it's so wonderful to feel loved!

*Photo by Michelle Rose, Ellicott City, MD

4 comments:

friend said...

nice post - children are a blessing for sure. I can't get enough one on one snuggle time.

deanna said...

thanks, and I agree completely, with everything you said! ditto!

Jeremy Del Rio said...

Great picture! And the post was nice too. :)

deanna said...

Thanks - I love the picture. A very nice friend of Tony's who is a professional photographer - it's her handiwork, and was a very nice gift to us!! Hope you had a great trip and a have a nice thanksgiving!! at home!