Friday, November 04, 2005

Scrapbooking

I have been a Creative Memories junkie for about 10 years now. Unfortunately, you wouldn't know it because I am so far behind in my scrapbooking. I had gotten off to a good start while teaching, as a group of my collegues and I would get together once a month and scrap, have dinner, share ideas, tools, paper, etc. It was great!! Then we all had kids. Funny! What were scrapping about before we had kids? Anyway...

Now I am a frequent attender of scrapbooking events, but not as a customer. I am the calligrapher. I provide calligraphy for fellow scrappers at very reasonable rates because I love to do it, scrapbooking is expensive enough as it is and I believe in preserving memories for future generations. I am now a terrible customer because I have so many consultants who have graciously gifted me with more scrapbooking supplies than I could ever use up. I also have a husband who refers to my scrapbooking parties as "cult meetings" and "scams" so he's not very encouraging, especially when it comes to spending any amount of money on these materials that every scrapper NEEDS to have!

Tonight I have been invited to an introductory scrapping workshop. I emailed this woman who invited me to give her a heads up that I've done a little scrapping already. I'm going to go to this party because I've been invited by someone who just moved here last year. I know how hard it is to get connected. I've been in MD 13 years and I'm still feeling a bit disconnected, so I'm going. I'm going to make a "memory card" for someone - I don't know who or what pictures I will take. Now that we have a digital camera, we don't have any pictures anymore. They are all on our computer and have to be printed on our photo printer that I don't know how to use! Very frustrating! But, I'm going. And then tomorrow I have an all day crop where I will work, make a small amount of money but have lots of fun. Basically, a whole weekend of scrapping with nothing but a memory card to show for it. Oh, well.

Many of my friends have asked me over the years when I will become a Creative Memories consultant. My husband's answer sounds something like, "When hell freezes over...." and mine is usually, "When I actually become organized enough to be able to find my own pictures!" I don't think I'll ever actually be a consultant because I can't sell anything! Except Girl Scout cookies. That's what I'll be doing Sunday in front of a local grocery store. Thankfully, they sell themselves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I owe you some $$$ I need to catch up with you sometime and pay you!