Thursday, November 10, 2005

B2B Beth Moore

I watched video # 2 from Beth Moore's Breaking Free series last night and DVD #1 from her Living Beyond Yourself. There were two similarities with both sessions. First was that God's perfect law liberates us, it does not condemn. (Romans 8:1, *James 1:25) She specifically encourages us to recognize that confession of sins to God should be a relief. He already knows our sin and once we confess He purifies us. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9) Hard to believe, but He does. With that confession, or pouring out of our sin, the Holy Spirit is able to fill us if we allow Him to. It is then that we are fully prepared to deal with life, in our emptying of ourselves.

The second similarity was the idea of filling the voids in our life with the wrong thing. By doing this, we are allowing a stronghold of sin to take over. In the Living Beyond Yourself DVD, she specifically speaks to America/Americans. We are so full of ourselves, our things, our lives that we are making it nearly impossible to be spirit filled. This was so apparent to me, as I am trying to decide what to get our girls for birthdays and Christmas. It's crazy. Even they are having a difficult time coming up with things they want, because they really don't need a darn thing! And we have the added burden of two Christmas birthdays, so I have to make a list for birthday, Christmas and what I get and what the relatives get. It's overwhelming. I think we are finally going to have to come up with a well thought out plan for teaching our children about giving, not just receiving. (If you have any ideas, PLEASE post them - I need help!) What are we doing to our children? How do we teach them what a spirit filled life looks like? I have to work on that one.

25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. James 1:25 NIV

Her point here, we have to DO IT! We're so good at doing everything else, but when it comes to doing the things that will liberate us, we find that difficult. Could be an authority issue or just a general apathy, but we need to heed the call to obey.

I could honestly listen to Beth Moore everyday, but I think I'll chew on this for a week. Of course, I'll have to add some of that perfect law into the mix!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I have kids, I really want to take them to buy gifts for some of the kids on the Salvation Army stand in the mall (I know Grace has a similar thing, where you acn buy needy kids presents); I think that's a hott way to teach them to give, even to people you don't know.

You're awesome!!!

Em

Lucy said...

When I grow up, I want to be Beth Moore :)

deanna said...

Hehe - I can understand that! Beth would probably think you were crazy. She'd want you to be like Jesus!