Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Prayer in Schools

I'm up a bit late tonight... kt is sick, staying home tomorrow so we'll be in for the day. Sleeping in - yeah! I was watching the local news - I don't usually do that, in fact, I don't watch a whole lot of TV these days. Apparently, in Upper Marlboro today there was a scare. Some gunman tried to get into a local elementary school after being sighted by police. When he tried to go through the front door, he found it locked so proceeded into the adjacent woods. While the police tried to apprehend him, all the children in the school were shuffled into the auditorium. On the news, they interviewed a few of these children and one little girl said something like this:

I thought there was a man with a gun in the building. I wasn't sure, but we were all brought to the auditorium. I didn't know what was happening and I was scared. So, uh,... I prayed!

I almost cried when she said that - I'm not a crier (really, I'm not!). I can't imagine what these kids were thinking, or the teachers, for that matter. What a frightening experience. So glad she invited God into that auditorium. They might come up with some crazy law to block formal prayer in schools or even take God out of the allegiance, but they can't stop kids all over the US from speaking to a God who desires to be invited!

2 comments:

Jeremy Del Rio said...

Preach!

That's why it's so frustrating when certain believers whine all the time about prayer in schools. Which prayer is more meaningful, the unprompted, heartfelt cry of a student or teacher, or the coerced, rote recitation of uninspired words?

deanna said...

I'm in total agreement with you, Jeremy. They can never eliminate prayer in schools completely because children can be very spiritual! The ones who cry out to God cannot be stopped. In many respects, taking prayer out of schools protects our children from other unwanted religious influences. My children will know they can pray to God at any time, even without anyone else knowing.