Sunday, November 27, 2005

Harry Potter Review/Critique

My friend over at Harambe just posted this great review/critique of Harry Potter. Seeing as I've only seen one movie and never read a lick of the books, I appreciated reading his thoughts on this oft controversial topic. I've been asked more times than I care to mention whether or not I will "allow" my children to be exposed to Harry Potter and my answer is typically, "I don't know, and they are too young to even know who he is!" That's changing a bit, now that I have a second grader. I've listened to differing points of view on this topic, including a good friend and my mom who absolutely LOVE the series, to the school librarian (mother of good friend!) who is not so entranced by the books or the movies.

With this and most of the other haunting debates among Christian parents, T and I typically take the proceed with caution stance. We aren't saying "no" and we aren't saying "yes", we're saying we need to decide when it's appropriate and be ready to discuss different themes presented in the books/films. This is why I love the link above - great job pulling out these themes, comparing them to some other favorite series.

T is finishing up watching the entire Star Wars episodes with our girls. Now, this started when I was away and the girls are hooked - which I think is hysterical. I've got two girls who are now well versed on Luke, Leia and Darth Maul. They have regular light saber duels and are still learning the names of the droids, C3PO and R2D2. Em constantly refers to Chewbacca as "Joey" and calls the movies "Starvers", which has us all in stitches. (Almost as funny as "Nose White and the Seven Ho-hos") So, how do I really feel about "exposing" my children to this sort of media? Sometimes, I don't even have a say in the matter!

No comments: