Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Yup, I'm Old

This post today is going to require audience participation. I have a huge dilemma and I need everyone's vote! As usual, there's a long story that goes along with it, so I'll let you know first what you're voting on, then you can read as many of the details as you wish! For starters, yes, it's my birthday. Happy Birthday to me, but that is not what I want your help with (unless you have truly found the fountain of youth!).

This morning my wonderful husband presented me with a Macbook. The question is: do I keep it or get something else?

Now, I had not asked for this and I love the laptop that I have. He hasn't really told me why he so desperately wants to get a Mac and why it's for me, but he's been talking about getting one for a couple of years. I find this very intriguing, as when I met him I was a diehard mac fan and he absolutely hated them!!

I right now have a 15 inch laptop and I LOVE the widescreen. It works perfectly for me, but I only have it because we bought it for a little project that fell through. Since I have NO DESK or workspace in this house, I decided to adopt this nice computer. I love it! My previous computer is a desktop one, is in T's office and has been adopted by my daughters. It, however, is on the fritz. Maybe that's why T bought me this one?

Now, a few months ago we looked at the new Mac store in our mall. I totally fell in love with the desktop iMac with a HUGE screen - I'm all about big screens when it comes to computers. The problem - I don't have a desk and no one in this family is in any big hurry to get me one except for me! I have been wanting a desk since we moved here - no desk. I've shown everyone about 10 versions of the desk I would love, no desk. Instead, I get another laptop.

The problem - this laptop he got me is a 13 inch screen. I'm afraid to open the box because I think being used to and loving my big screen I'm not going to like the 13 inch. When in Orlando, my friend had a 13 inch Macbook. It was small. And I really had a lot of trouble with the touch pad - didn't like it at all. On my current laptop, I can double click on my touchpad - on hers, I could not. I also lost all my text in emails several times. That drove me crazy! And - it was small.

I don't really know what to do. I really loved the big screen iMac, but if there is no initiative to get me a desk in this house where would I put it? And since I love my computer, especially it's size, maybe I should just get another one of my computer if we need another computer? I just don't know. Maybe I should just give T the Macbook - I think he's the one who really wants one! HELP!

14 comments:

JaydensJourney said...

Happy Birthday!!! How is my older and wiser friend doing today? It's still so much fun that I get to say stuff like that for a couple months. So when does late 30s officially start?

How much more expensive is the 17 inch version of the mac ibook? I hear ya on screen size... have you ever tried dual monitors? I have a 20 inch hooked up to my laptop at home.

Happy, happy birthday!!

deanna said...

LOL - well, I'm older and much wiser, for a couple months, anyway! As for late 30's, I've always been mature for my age, so I believe I've arrived - unfortunately!

It looks like the MacBook only comes in 13inch - am I wrong? The larger screens are available in the MacPowerbook - right? - and they start at double the cost of this one. As for hooking up a larger screen, I had not thought of that. I think I need to reeducate myself on the macs - since it's been 12 years of marriage, 12 years of mac withdrawal... I'm now nonconversant in maclanguage!!

I'm totally bored... wish you lived closer!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday beautiful! I hope your day is filled with lots of love and joy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! I have a 13 inch MacBook...I love it...so I am biased I guess.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday youngster! Here's the plan. Take back the MacBook, buy yourself an awesome desk with the money, and then hope like heck that you get the iMac with the huge screen for Mother's Day or Christmas. ;) Hey, miracles happen all the time...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my wonderful daughter! I agree with Dana! You will not be happy with the smaller screen. I have had the fun of using your "accidental laptop" that you acquired and I love it too. It convinced me to get my own. Get a desk and wait until MacBook comes out with a larger screen.

deanna said...

Now a miracle is a great vote! LOL - of course, a miracle would be for me to be on a beach, in the warm, hot sun for my birthday. That has never happened!!

I'm thinking we may just take this thing back. I think we need to think about it a bit more.... and clean up our house first!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. So far today, I've gone grocery shopping. So, this is 37! LOL

Rodney Olsen said...

Have a wonderful birthday and if you really don't want the Mac I can give you my address. I'll even pay postage. :)

deanna said...

LOL - Rodney, you are funny! I would love to give you the macbook, but I don't think my husband would. Funny, but I'm currently using the Macbook in it's box as my desk today... it's the perfect size for my laptop.

Anonymous said...

HI--I saw it was your birthday on T's site (whom I met through my husband at Humana 2.0) So I thought I'd stop by and say hi--since I'm an avid scrapbooker I was interested to see that you scrapbook.

Since you don't know me, my vote might not be that important (which is ok) but I'd take it back--You need to be comfortable with whatever computer/laptop you use.

Anyway...Hope your birthday was a great one! Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! No fountain of youth here, gray hairs abound!

I was wondering if you could trade in the 13 in Macbook for the lovely huge iMac and a desk for the same price? Steve, my resident computer expert seemed to think that perhaps you could.
Suzie Marchetti

deanna said...

Hey Suz!!! Thanks, and I wonder if your computer expert is correct. We're taking the computer back, although I'm sure I'd love it if was my size. We are going to rethink the computer thing when we get our family room organized, a desk and see what our needs are. More news about that in the near future!

I would have LOVED to have seen you on my birthday - let's get together soon! please!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Keep the MacBook! I know the widescreen desktop is sweet. But if you can only afford one, you can't pay enough for the convenience of the notebook. My (15 inch) Macbook is the best investment I've made in years.

deanna said...

Thanks, Jeremy. If the Macbook came in a 15inch, I'd keep it in a heartbeat. The Macbook Pro in 15 inch is double the price - that seems a little out of my range. I'm wishing they made the macbook in a 15 inch... so for now, we'll pass. Yes - the convenience factor is very nice! I'll just have to visit you and drool a little!!