Saturday, February 03, 2007

Prayer Warriors Needed - ASAP!

I'll start by saying that I believe we've passed a corner with little Em - it's has been nearly 24 hours and two meals that she's been fine. Hallelujah!! Thanks so much for your prayers. Now if we can keep Katie healthy I think we'll be OK.

I received an email from my cousin this morning about my uncle and I can just say that prayer is needed!! It appears from what they've seen and have been told that he has a very, very aggressive tumor, the effects of which are increasing daily. Since her last visit on Monday, his condition has deteriorated to the point where he is no longer to get himself up, is becoming less responsive and this has become an extremely physical challenge for the family. She is spending nights at her parent's to help with his care so that my aunt is not alone.

Please pray for the following things:

1. That they might be blessed with some at home help before the surgery. 179 pounds of dead weight, even with all the love in your heart, is going to become an unbearable load for them.

2. For a peace about decisions that will need to be made post surgery. This week has been an eye-opener for everyone, and the chances are great that life after surgery will require more than just coming home.

3. For the heart of my uncle, which in the past has been turned away from God but more recently has been softened towards Him. Pray for reconciliation.

4. For his wife, who is doing an amazing job taking care of and loving her husband. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to do what she is doing, and her children will always remember her for that - I know!

5. For my cousins, who have some difficult days ahead, for clarity of mind, for more precious moments with their dad. One lives close and is able to help - prayer for her strength, heart and resolve in helping her mom. For the other who lives farther away - for a peace about not being close enough to help, carrying out her own daily responsibilities as a wife, mother and teacher while all this is happening many miles away.

6. Pray for Aunt Denise and family and friends, whose hands on constant care and attention are invaluable for this family at this time. She sounds amazing - I wish we'd met her when we were out this summer!

7. Finally, pray that the surgery is successful, that my uncle's quality of life will improve in tremendous ways and that he will outlive the prognosis. He has a very strong will to live, many things he has left that he wants to see and I know he wants to tease his sisters more - he just can't get enough of that!!

We cannot thank you enough for your prayers already. Going through an experience like this can be so discouraging, but prayer can lift even the most hopeless of souls!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

UPDATE (5pm EST): Thanks for your prayers, which I think led directly to what happened this morning. My aunt and cousin were unable to wake up my uncle. After determining he was not responding and based on other concerns, they phoned the EMT's. He's now resting at the hospital and will likely remain there until his surgery on Wednesday. He had a fever of 103 and is now on IV antibiotics and anti-seizure medicine. He will have round the clock care at a hospital near my aunt. While it's slightly inconvenient, this alleviates the need for at home care.

While at the hospital today they have also learned that due to the surgeon being on vacation, my uncle's medical records/tests had already been sent to the doctor at UCLA with whom they had an appointment early next week. She is the one who recommended the surgery. The surgeon will be back this week and can review the records, but chances are he will concur and the surgery will proceed as planned.

My uncle has been awake at various times and they have been in to visit with him for short amounts of time. This is a big relief for us all! As a last request, pray for safe travels for my cousin who is driving down from the San Francisco area tonight, and for her husband and two boys who I believe are staying home! (not sure, but that's what I'm assuming.)

UPDATE 2 (6:30 pm EST): My uncle's surgery has now been moved up to Monday due to his condition. Please pray that all will transpire according to God's will. Thank you so much!

No comments: