Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dangerous Mixture

As I sit here, still in bed (hehe), I am listening to the scratch of sleet on my windows, the sound of my girls playing with their doggies, home from school on this treacherous day. The forecast is grim, calling for more sleet and freezing rain, extending our winter weather until 1pm when high winds will follow. I'm feeling like I've gone from one extreme to another in such a short time. A vacation of sunshine to real life cold and snow.

On days like this, I sometimes try to imagine what it might have been like 100 or 200 years ago. I'm freezing, but back then what did they do? No electric, no gas heat, no cars.... did they wear 10 pairs of socks and all the clothes in their drawers? for days on end?? Did whole families cuddle up close together by the fire? How did kids with asthma manage? OK, so that last question is a little weird, but seriously, Kt can't deal with an indoor fire! So many questions that just make me so thankful that I was born in 1970!

No comments: